Can Cats Marry Dogs?
updated: Aug 25, 2012, 11:00 AM

I am a SWF 28 years old and I have met a wonderful guy. He is smart, funny, and has a job, his own car, and a place to live.

The trouble is that he is a dog person, and I am a cat person. I have 3, and I'm proud to say they all have been Cat of the Week. My boyfriend (Tom) only has one dog. We all get along okay, but Tom does not feel the same love for my cats that I do.

Edda- what is our future? Can cats marry dogs? What would the children be like?

Cat Woman

--------------------

Dear Cat Woman,

Wait - we're speaking metaphorically, right?

2012-08-25 11:12 AM

Simple. You'll simply have to give up your cat(s.) The twain shall never meet between dog/cat people. Or lock them both in the garage and see which one emerges (though I fear it just might be the pussy.)

A Dyed-In-The-Fur Dog Lover

2012-08-25 11:14 AM

Let the dog choose which cat he likes best, and let them live happily ever after together. Hopefully, you have wonderful friends that will let you visit the others from time to time.

2012-08-25 11:16 AM

I like cats. My wife likes dogs. We have one of each. What's the issue?

2012-08-25 11:26 AM

Really not an issue, the dog and cat will adapt and get along.

2012-08-25 11:54 AM

dog and cats pick up on how WE feel about the mix. If you are afraid...they pick up on that fear. Read up on it...dogs and cat can be great friends! Just don't push. The problem mixing family's use to be Ford people vs Chevy people.... those were the good ol' days!!

2012-08-25 12:02 PM

If you love Tom and your cats the same, then Tom needs to date someone else. Like @504 says, dog/cat people are different. Just think when you have real problems like kids/no kids, buy a house or rent, color your gray hair or not, meat or vegetarian, it just goes on and on. So bottom line is you will have to get rid of your cats to show Tom how much you love him.

2012-08-25 12:49 PM

Was Tom's dog ever dog of the week?

2012-08-25 01:52 PM

Forget about dogs and cats. There are plenty of fish in the sea. Find one that has (or can tolerate) a pet fetish like yours.

2012-08-25 02:38 PM

Dump the dogs and cats. (Give them away.) Get some birds as a compromise! ("bird bird bird birdy bird...you're such a good birdie..." - my parakeet)

2012-08-25 04:15 PM

Sounds like you don't love each other at all. If you did, the pets wouldn't matter and you wouldn't even be thinking about the "issue". It would be such a minor blip that you wouldn't even think about asking for advice about such a trivial matter. You'd introduce your pets and be done with it.

Seems like one or both of you are looking for an excuse to get out of the relationship.

2012-08-25 05:35 PM

Three cats seems a little excessive so I'd say you're pretty lucky he hasn't run for the hills already. Make him a deal that as they go to kitty heaven that you'll settle for just one down the road and see if that compromise will work. My husband and I are no pet people and worked this all out early since this is a big deal lifestyle wise.

FLICKA agree helpful negative off topic

2012-08-26 09:48 AM

The "point" of Edda's advice column (to me) is she gives a humorus comment and lets the edhat posters take over. Works very well. For todays question, cats and dogs can do very well together if their owners truly love each other. Been working in our household for 40 yrs.

ARCHIE agree helpful negative off topic

2012-08-26 10:13 AM

How many are we talking about?

2012-08-26 10:41 AM

Simple. Get rid of the dog AND cat. Get some fish.

2012-08-26 05:05 PM

"Ask Edda" simply, (and I might add, very cutely) IS actually putting the member's question out there to the edhat community, for comments and advice. That is the whole concept behind this column!

2012-08-26 06:03 PM

Other members touched on this, but this is really the KEY question YOU must answer. Nowhere in your letter to Edda, do you say that you and your boyfriend actually LOVE each other.

If your pets are an issue, then he is not the one for you, nor are you the one for him. True love is not defined by separate "camps". In real love, the most accurate adjective is "surrender". Surrender of your ego, surrender of your heart, willingness to shed every pretense and attitude that could conflict with expressing love for each other. PERIOD.

For a graphic example of the kind of love you should feel for each other, if you are motivated to master "Relationships 101-A", then read the very short story by O. Henry, entitled "The Gift of the Magi". THAT, dear lady is the kind of love it takes to sustain life's challenges with a partner.

2012-08-27 01:13 PM

I have actually ended relationships over women with cats. Not so much because they had cats per se, but because the cats were indoor and slept on/in the bed. I am definitely a dog person and my dog gets along with cats, or tolerates them, but it really is an issue when 2 people have different preferences in pets. Pets are like family to me and I take my dogs a lot of places and love to recreate with them, if a woman can't accept that then we aren't capable.Cat's you really can't play with like dogs or take to the beach or for hikes, I don't get the point but will accept them if a woman accepts my 2 dogs.

2012-08-28 01:59 PM

In a household with cats and dogs, only the fleas win. All of these animals are either allegorical or metaphorical, whichever you prefer.

22% of comments on this page were made by Edhat Community Members.

*** 2 comments were deleted from this thread by the Edhat Board Nanny for violating Edhat Comments Board policy. Click Here to see them.