Do Cats Eat Fruit?
updated: Sep 10, 2011, 4:00 PM

Do cats eat fruit? Every morning lately, I've found half eaten fruit in the fruit bowl on my kitchen counter. When I look over at my cat, he looks very sheepish and guilty. Could it be possible that the cat is gnawing on the fruit every night? It's a mystery!

Fruitless

* * *

Dear Fruitless,

Hmm - I smell a rat.

CATMOM agree helpful negative off topic

2011-09-10 04:50 PM

I've always heard that cats love cantaloupe, and cranberries and blueberries are listed among the ingredients in my cats' food. One of my cats loves lima beans.

2011-09-10 05:07 PM

Put an orange out with the fruit. If little bits of orange peel are piled up nearby then your cat was not the one nibbling. The look on the cats face in the morning may be because it knows it is not doing its job.

BJGREEN agree helpful negative off topic

2011-09-10 05:10 PM

I had cats that ate bread and Danish (after eating holes in the plastic wrap). They also ate rubber bands, and bit holes in cellophane tape. As I write this, I realize that the common denominator was plastic. Hmmm. Petroleum deficiency? Isn't there a vitamin supplement for that?

2011-09-10 05:23 PM

Sounds more like rodents to me...

2011-09-10 05:51 PM

My cat loves the fruit bowl. Nibbles on all melons, apples, peaches even squash and pumpkins. She'll even go in my vegetable garden if I have nothing in the bowl. Also she will rip open a bag of marshmallows if left unattended. I don't think you have a rat...

2011-09-10 06:04 PM

Do you sleepwalk with the munchies?

2011-09-10 06:10 PM

our cat Max loved plums, watermelen, peaches and bananas. we thought it was ok but it actually is not good for them can cause blindness in some cats.. becareful.. i'd ask you cat's vet if it is ok, maybe different for yours..

2011-09-10 06:46 PM

Some friends had a cat that would eat anything, even lettuce and stuff it would pull out of the garbage disposal. Guess it wasn't all that impressed with cat food.

2011-09-10 06:57 PM

Our late Marcus Agrippa like to eat glace fruit off the tops of fruitcakes, even if it meant nibbling through the plastic wrapping to get to the good stuff.

2011-09-10 07:03 PM

I had a cat that loved cantaloupe. My aunt has a cat that loves mashmallows (I know...not a fruit, but also interesting).

2011-09-11 07:08 AM

You need the RatZapper!

2011-09-11 07:48 AM

I agree with the rodent comment. That was my first guess. Is the cat's name Garfield?

2011-09-11 07:53 AM

Sounds like a harmless packrat. That pile of twigs in your living room is called a midden. Welcome your new friends and let your curiousity fly!

2011-09-11 09:27 AM

We had a similar problem, tomatoes were being eaten out in a circular pattern. It was a smart rat, that evaded the trap for several nights...

2011-09-11 10:03 AM

Don't know about fruit, but no butter on toast or bread was safe in our house, and the furball would use deceipt (lap time please?) to get it. She also loved meringues and cheese puffs. My spouse described it as, "Can I have some too?"

2011-09-11 11:28 AM

Ditto about the butter/margarine, @213028P. If I leave my waffles on the table for a second, one of my cats is right there licking the margarine off of them. Nothing like sharing breakfast with my favorite feline.

2011-09-11 11:40 AM

I would like to warn all cat lovers that my gorgeous tabby developed crystals from eating cat food that contained fish.
He is still on a prescription diet now.

ACF agree helpful negative off topic

2011-09-11 12:36 PM

Sounds like some people aren't feeding their cats enough!

2011-09-11 12:40 PM

My pussycat loves smoked turkey breast, corn chips and popcorn. She turns her fuzzy little nose up at all other people food. My late kitty loved mangos, like go crazy and climb inside your mouth to get more if he could crazy!

2011-09-11 12:49 PM

Our lil' scavenger will eat anything he can get his hog jaws around. Our girl kitty loves fruits and veggies. We discovered this upon seeing her walking back from the trash cans with a zucchini ring dangling from her mouth. One creatures trash is another's treasure :)

2011-09-11 02:19 PM

I would fifth (maybe sixth or seventh) that it is a rat or mouse. Cat's are carnivorous, there body's are designed for a meat diet. If your cat is eating the fruit, you'll want to secure it from the cat. Most plants make cats sick or cause damage to the body. The plants that don't harm the cats body take up valuable digestive space and time, which can lead to deficiencies in other nutrients. Meats break down easily, but plants require help (cows use multiple stomachs full of bacteria, we have the appendix to pump out bacteria into the large intestine). Since cat's don't have this bacteria helper, plant material passes whole through the body.

I have a cat that for now 14 years will eat anything that is green and a leaf. It was very difficult to keep it from eating plants, even after 2 vet trips because it ate roses (which are very, very toxic to cats, and causes an almost immediate reaction similar to us humans eating a large amount of charcoal).

JUKINJAY agree helpful negative off topic

2011-09-11 04:17 PM

Our cat loves raisins but no other fruits or vegetables.

36% of comments on this page were made by Edhat Community Members.