Never Baking Again
updated: Jul 30, 2011, 10:15 AM

I baked a cake for my mother-in-law's birthday party. While it was cooling on the counter, my cat climbed up and ate a corner off the cake. I shooed her off, but it was too late to make a new cake, so I covered it all up with frosting. I didn't tell anyone about the incident.

After the party, a couple of people commented that they had upset stomachs and they blamed the food. I still didn't say anything. But now my husband's uncle, who is an attorney, and who also got sick, is threatening to sue the caterers for his medical bill. Apparently, he became so ill that he had to be hospitalized with stomach pains, and might have to have hemorrhoid surgery. As if things weren't bad enough, now my cat has a rash on her tummy, and diarrhea. What should I do?

Never Baking Again

* * *

Dear Never Baking Again,

Take the cat to the vet.

COMMENT 198365P agree helpful negative off topic

2011-07-30 10:23 AM

When the cat ate the cake, you should have gone out and bought a new one. Teach your cat to stay off the counter. Their feet have been in litter boxes and they shouldn't be eating your food. Get some scat mats and a water bottle and get busy on this project. And put food away so it's never a tempatation. I have two dogs and a cat and none of them counter surf. They know better.

That said, there's no reason to think that your cat's sampling of the cake made several people ill. In fact, it's pretty darned unlikely. It may have easily been the catered food, especially if it was food prepared in advance that had to be kept either hot or cold. Since food from multiple sources was served, there's no way to know what caused it unless they can test all the food that was served. So your uncle is blowing smoke (and apparently other things too). So sick of people that sue over everything.

COMMENT 198368P agree helpful negative off topic

2011-07-30 10:25 AM

Oh and take your cat to the vet too.

COMMENT 198378P agree helpful negative off topic

2011-07-30 10:47 AM

I did not know that you could get hemorrhoids from eating tainted food. Good to know, ;-). (More then likely caused by stress I would presume.) Just another lawyer sensing a potential payday at someone else's expense and reputation. Food poisoning happens, though not fun.

COMMENT 198381 agree helpful negative off topic

2011-07-30 10:55 AM

First, is this real?

Secondly, If your cat is sick too, I doubt it caused it. Maybe the eggs in the cake or something in the frosting was bad. I know it's sort of gross, but sometimes my cat drinks from my water and then I'll drink it too. Unless your cat literally walked on the cake, I doubt contaminated it much. Take the cat to the vet.

Also, surprised the cat likes cake! My guys only want fish or salty things!

COMMENT 198395 agree helpful negative off topic

2011-07-30 11:26 AM

You said it was for your Mother in Law, right? If so, no harm no foul.

COMMENT 198406 agree helpful negative off topic

2011-07-30 11:45 AM

Edda,

For once your advice is spot on.

Cat's may try, but can't heal themselves.

Prompt medical attention is what it needs.

ROGER DODGER agree helpful negative off topic

2011-07-30 12:14 PM

I got a rusty old pair of pliers for acouple hundred bucks I'll take car of the uncle. Then everyone will be hoppy. :)

COMMENT 198415 agree helpful negative off topic

2011-07-30 12:30 PM

Yep Roger, pliers are better for the job than say feeding the uncle to some hungry sharks… for as the saying goes, "Do you know why sharks don't eat lawyers? Professional courtesy."

COMMENT 198422 agree helpful negative off topic

2011-07-30 12:58 PM

My cat shares my water glass and goes bananas for cookies. Doubt it was the cake but maybe you could have cut off the part of the cake that kitty ate ... and Then frosted. Once upon a time my
X-mother in law accidently cut part of her fingernail off while chopping up ingredients for chicken salad and couldn't find it and swore me to secrecy ... The things we don't know hahaha ... !!! Oh and yes please take kitty to a vet (:

COMMENT 198427 agree helpful negative off topic

2011-07-30 01:08 PM

Oh for goodness sake this is plain silly. The cake was tainted and clearly the caters were at fault.

ROGER DODGER agree helpful negative off topic

2011-07-30 01:41 PM

Speaking of which I used to work for a huge famous meat company you know the kind that sells really thin sliced meat and one time a co worked fell into the machine. The things customers don't know,,,

COMMENT 198454P agree helpful negative off topic

2011-07-30 02:23 PM

Roger, I love you and am completely thrown off track sometimes! I don't see the comma and it makes for a very unique meaning!

COMMENT 198455P agree helpful negative off topic

2011-07-30 02:24 PM

Like why would you pay 200 dollars for a pair of rusty pliers!

COMMENT 198456P agree helpful negative off topic

2011-07-30 02:26 PM

They had to shut down the slim jim factory for a short period of time recently for the same reason. Seriously Roger, I hope you don't eat those things!

COMMENT 198458P agree helpful negative off topic

2011-07-30 02:27 PM

This article is a joke by the way, just like all the others. People get sick sooner or later, some food is tainted and you just can't avoid it.

COMMENT 198459P agree helpful negative off topic

2011-07-30 02:29 PM

Quit sharing your water glass with the cat. These articles draw out the freaks.

COMMENT 198460P agree helpful negative off topic

2011-07-30 02:30 PM

Don't eat the chicken salad.

COMMENT 198461P agree helpful negative off topic

2011-07-30 02:33 PM

Calling all cats; There is a smorgasbord at 381's house!

COMMENT 198468 agree helpful negative off topic

2011-07-30 02:52 PM

Roger, with only the pliers you're under-equipped. I'll e-mail you the rubber bands with which to complete the job.

ROGER DODGER agree helpful negative off topic

2011-07-30 03:02 PM

The place I worked was Land o Frost happened back in the 70's they just hosed the machine off..

COMMENT 198489P agree helpful negative off topic

2011-07-30 03:55 PM

That's land o lakes, you are mistaken.

COMMENT 198491P agree helpful negative off topic

2011-07-30 03:57 PM

My cat was devious. It would pretend it wanted lap time while I was eating breakfast and reading the paper, and then lick the butter off my toast. It really loved Trader Joe's meringues too. (I speculated it was the egg's protein, as they can't taste sweets.) Was this a particularly egg-y cake?

As for the Uncle/attorney getting food poisoning, Well Done! -- whoever did it.

COMMENT 198503 agree helpful negative off topic

2011-07-30 04:30 PM

Ahahahahaha 491! I couldn't leave butter out to warm up for good spreadin' cuz my late boy kitty would lick the whole stick if he could! Come to think of it the only thing he wouldn't eat was mushrooms ... He was a kitty foodie!!!

COMMENT 198548 agree helpful negative off topic

2011-07-30 09:29 PM

Uggh!

ROGER DODGER agree helpful negative off topic

2011-07-30 10:44 PM

It was Land o Frost.

COMMENT 198566P agree helpful negative off topic

2011-07-31 07:30 AM

I remember the Land o Frost brand...

COMMENT 198637 agree helpful negative off topic

2011-07-31 12:20 PM

Clearly not everyone could've eaten from the same corner the cat did so it isn't the source of contamination. Even if there had been time, ever seen how fast bacteria colonies grow on a petri dish? Fingernails grow faster!

I agree with the vet statement and would add that you never use that caterer again.

COMMENT 198659 agree helpful negative off topic

2011-07-31 02:40 PM

What's this about "remembering" Land O Frost???

This is a brand that is currently being sold in the major supermarkets, in the deli section, with the other packaged, processed meats. In fact, it's a very popular brand!

61% of comments on this page were made by Edhat Community Members.