A Cat for Christmas
updated: Jan 08, 2011, 10:00 AM

My sister got me a cat for Christmas. I hate cats. I am also allergic to cats. They make my eyes swell and my nose run. And they are mean and kill things.

Last year, she got me a fondue pot, and I was able to get rid of it at my company office party, where we have a white elephant gift exchange.

I can't keep the cat. The trouble is, it is not a kitten that my sister got me. It is a gigantic yellow cat with a very bad disposition, a really loud voice, and long claws. It has already ruined the side of my couch, and I don't like the way it's looking at my dachshund.

My sister's birthday is next week. Would it be wrong to re-gift a cat?

Stuffed Up

-----

Dear Stuffed Up,

I don't think so.

2011-01-08 10:12 AM

It would be wrong to re-gift if you gave it to another cat hater like yourself.

2011-01-08 10:14 AM

It would be the purr-fect thing to do. Hope it doesn't cause a family cat-astrophe though!

2011-01-08 10:16 AM

Too bad you got rid of the fondue pot...

SHOREBIRD agree helpful negative off topic

2011-01-08 10:39 AM

How long is it before the next white elephant gift exchange at work?

2011-01-08 10:41 AM

You must hate cats because you are allergic to them. They are wonderful animals..give em a little love and you get a ton back. If you feed the cat a raw natural (real food) diet...your allergies will likely go away. From what I've experienced anyway, all my friends that are deathly allergic to cats are not allergic to mine. Perhaps it is because they were allergic to the nasty food that the cats are forced to eat in this country (full of wheat and allergens that come back out through their skin) Also. Does your sister hate you? Doesn't she know that you are allergic and don't like the animal? Maybe she hates cats too..and thought it would be funny to torture the both of you. Sounds like an f'd up family to me!

GOOD LUCK. Give it to someone that LOVES cats. Not me. I have two already :)

2011-01-08 11:13 AM

I think if you have the original packaging and haven't removed the tags, you can return it to Nordstom no questions asked.

2011-01-08 11:36 AM

Watch those restocking fees.

Still, this is a good story that will add value to this individual cat if it has to be re-adopted at the shelter.

2011-01-08 11:40 AM

drop off a few rats at her place and she may ask for that cat back. Then, put her on every sketchy mailing list you can. Cheers!

2011-01-08 01:13 PM

Sounds like your sister doesn't know you very well.

2011-01-08 03:03 PM

I like cats but hate the litter box chore. I would help you out and take it off your hands but someone else would have to do the litter box thing everyday. I can never find volunteers for that job.

2011-01-08 07:44 PM

Go to a t-shirt store and get one made up that says... "All I got for Christmas was this lousy cat", and wear it to your sister's birthday party...

2011-01-08 08:43 PM

this is the main reason I don't do Christmas anymore. Why is it that the gifts that people seem to give are gifts that they (giver) like instead of what the receiver likes? What a waste of money Christmas really is. I'm glad at least I have church to go to and have fun with my family. But they know me and gifts don't mix.

2011-01-09 07:43 AM

Google "100 easy ways to kill a miserable cat"

2011-01-09 08:03 AM

Take to it
Animal Shelter Assistance at 5473 Overpass Road in Goleta (805) 683-3368 then tell your sister it ran off and you think a coyote might have eaten it. (Assuming the coyote won the battle.)

2011-01-09 08:34 AM

Someone should ask Edda why this column is so consistently lame and fake. Sorry, but it is.

RAINE5360 agree helpful negative off topic

2011-01-09 10:34 AM

Except for parents to children, who gives a cat for a Christmas present? I strongly suspect she is trying to tell you somerthing....especially since you are allergic and the cat is the Cat from Hell..... But then again, this column is not for real, anyhoo.

2011-01-09 10:42 AM

@741P....but then, we would lose the best part, reading the posts from those that aren't aware it's not real ;-)

2011-01-09 11:03 AM

I'm with 741P. I stopped reading this column early on because it was clearly fake and not entertaining. I only read this entry because I love cats. Now I wish I hadn't wasted my time reading, and right now I'm wasting my time commenting . . .

SHOREBIRD agree helpful negative off topic

2011-01-09 11:18 AM

Edda's column is like a wild fire, hard to look away, even for those who "stopped reading" long ago.

Mother nature has not given everyone a sense of humor. But an organized sock drawer is really, really important too.

2011-01-09 11:45 AM

As I've said before on Edhat...I am incredibly immature for my age, so for me, this is required reading!

2011-01-09 12:06 PM

I always said one has to be really desperate for something to do to read and reply to this crazy column. I'm desperate now after absorbing all news possible on the tragic and mindless shooting in AZ. Clearly one needs to lighten up.

So - what's going to happen to this poor little unwanted moggy? I hope someone will give her/him a good home. I would offer but we have a 126 lbs. Alaskan Malamute who challenges everything on 4 legs.

2011-01-09 12:29 PM

Shorebird.....LOL 8>)

2011-01-09 04:11 PM

Shorebird for the win!

2011-01-09 05:21 PM

Mother Nature has given some more refined senses of humor than others, that's all.

2011-01-10 08:56 AM

Reminds me of a funny song, with the opening lines: "You bought me a kitty-cat; and that's just fine; I've always been allergic to kitty-cats ...... but I think you knew that ...."

2011-01-10 09:37 AM

hah ha ha ha-classic!

2011-01-11 10:48 AM

I used to hate brussel sprouts but had them pan fried with lots of butter, a little garlic and good olive oil, bacon bits and then salt and pepper seasoned to taste. Yum! I've learned to love them and maybe you will learn to love your cat too!

2011-01-11 05:34 PM

Hillsider, are you suggesting the cat be sauteed in butter and garlic, with bacon bits, and then she'll learn to love it that way?

2011-01-25 05:57 PM

My ex husband is allergic to cats. Had I only thought to bring a cat home I could've gotten him to move out alot sooner.

24% of comments on this page were made by Edhat Community Members.