more articles like this
Ventura Senior Recreation Center
updated: Dec 11, 2010, 6:30 AM
The past several months have seen a great deal of rumor and speculation about the closing of the Ventura Senior Recreation Center on Santa Clara Street. While there have been changes, the center has not closed. Many great services and programs are being offered to our local seniors every day.
All center activities are now taking place in their beautiful Social Hall. The library, resource center and even the piano have been relocated to the Social Hall making this room a friendly gathering spot as well as classroom, lecture hall and learning center. The center anticipates that this will be a very busy place.
Over the next couple of months the rooms on the opposite side of the building will be converted to offices in a cost-sharing partnership with the City of Ventura. They look forward to this sharing of the facility and the additional foot traffic and energy it will bring to the center.
Some programs and activities have been relocated due to the loss of available space. Mah Jong and Pinochle are now being played at the Ventura Avenue Adult Center. The popular pool and snooker tables have also moved to VAAC. The Wednesday social bridge game has moved to the Palms. The center was sorry to see these activities leave, but happy that they all found new homes.
Popular regular programs that continue at the center include:
• The Investment Group-Mondays 10-11:30 am • Dr. Woodling Taking Charge Health Lecture-Wednesdays 9 am-noon • Conversation Group-Wednesdays 4-6 pm • Baby Blanket Making-Every 3rd Wednesday 2-4 pm
Regular services include:
• Braille Institute-Tuesdays 10 am-noon • Grey Law-3rd Tuesday and 2nd and 4th Thursdays 1-3 pm • Food Share Brown Bag-Every other Monday 1-3 pm
Upcoming special events Include:
• Program Your Gadgets-Friday, January 21, 3-5 pm. High school students assist seniors with cell phones, ipods, cameras and other electronic devices.
• Valentine's Day Event-Monday, February 14, 11 am-3 pm
• Tax Preparation-Tuesday and Thursday afternoons, February through April
The Ventura Senior Recreation Center also remains as the office for the Ventura Travel Programs offering a wonderful variety of trips and tours near and far. Trips planned for this spring include: • Santa Barbara Culinary School, March 3 • Beauty and the Beast at the Pantages, March 10 • Lotusland, May 6 • Laughlin, NV, April 3-5 • Catalina Island Escape, June 15-17
Please drop by any time. Hours at the Senior Center are:
• Monday, Tuesday and Thursday 9 am-3 pm
• Wednesday 9 am-6 pm
• Friday 9 am-1 pm
• Phone 648-2829. Travel Programs Office 648-5606
Foto: Dr. Bruce Woodling presents Taking Charge health lecture series at the Senior Center
Send this picture as a postcard
# # # #
Be the first to comment on this article.
# # # #