Lines are Blurred
updated: Dec 11, 2010, 10:00 AM

I did a lot of acid during the ‘60s. I no longer indulge in drugs of any kind, but I fear I might have done some permanent damage. Sometimes, the line between reality and the other thing (non-reality?) is blurred. I find myself wondering about the nature of what is concrete and what is just in my head. This is usually not a problem, as I am an attorney. However, once in a while, if I let my mind wander, I get this feeling that I don't really exist. Should I be worried?

Can you see me?

-----

Dear Can you see me,

I know exactly how you feel. I'm not worried a bit.

2010-12-11 11:00 AM

It doesn't sound like you need medication to undo the damage from other drugs. Look for a good mental health or family counselor or maybe even a psychologist to help you walk thru some of your discomforts. I doubt you need one, but the counselors would let you know if you should see a psychiatrist. You'll probably never be completely normal, but how many of us are!?

2010-12-11 11:03 AM

Blurring reality (truth) with non-reality is a gift for anyone in the legal profession.

2010-12-11 11:04 AM

There is no drug that will undo the damages caused by another drug. Remember that when psychologists and psychiatrists inevitably walk you toward more drugs.

Patience and good living is your medicine.

ROGER DODGER agree helpful negative off topic

2010-12-11 11:07 AM

Thorzine helps alot.

2010-12-11 11:27 AM

Tommy can you hear me, Tommy can you see me.

2010-12-11 11:46 AM

Man, you'd know it by now if you were damaged. I know at least one person institutionalized and there are famous examples such as Syd Barrett of Pink Floyd and Billy Cox's (Jimi Hendrix bass player) temporary catatonia. Then there the 'walking wounded'. I was surprised to hear of an old friend who was back working so the brain can heal but it can take decades. He did it daily in high school, the fool.
Cocaine was really worse creating much agoraphobia, depression, and inability to work but for a few LSD changed them and not for the best at all. There are a few famous examples of folks who had real Sandoz, one who tells me he never came down is a true authentic genius. Don Buchla is another example and perhaps cautionary tale.
Albert Hoffman lived to 102 so draw your own conclusions.

2010-12-11 11:55 AM

Tackle each day with pride and pleasure knowing that you've experienced a different side of life most people will never know. You've obviously been able to hold down a job and probably have meaningful interactions and relationships with your family and friends, so what harm has been done? Being able to grasp that there may be more (or less?) to your life than what you do day in and day out is a gift. Cherish it!

ROGER DODGER agree helpful negative off topic

2010-12-11 12:38 PM

You can always drill a hole in your head too. :)

2010-12-11 12:49 PM

I hate it when that happens.

2010-12-11 01:48 PM

Dear Concrete - in - the head, How do you flush ?

2010-12-11 02:01 PM

Spiro Agnew promised that we'd all get flashbacks... I'm still waiting. This is why you can't trust big government.

2010-12-11 02:47 PM

We paid for our flashbacks, Where are they? The consumer gets ripped off again!

SHOREBIRD agree helpful negative off topic

2010-12-11 05:05 PM

You are homeless guy who sleeps on the beach.

It's a delusion that you are an attorney.

Don't go to the law library again.

Your smell makes it hard for the real attorney's to work.

2010-12-11 05:59 PM

see the banana...be the banana... when in doubt, take twice as much in order to cancel the other one out. Stay away from my cheddar!

2010-12-11 06:12 PM

Sprio Agnew??? To this date he has the best anagram of anyone's name....Grow a Penis.

2010-12-12 06:50 AM

Ask your doctor about "Poisantin" It might help....but probably not...

2010-12-12 07:55 AM

Ask Edda continues to be fake and laaaaame. -Edda Hatta

2010-12-12 08:33 AM

I suggest talking with a counselor to help you sort things out. I think you're just fine though.

2010-12-12 09:00 AM

Get rid of this stupid column. Hell, I'll start one called "ask jack the one eyed parrot".

ANDY agree helpful negative off topic

2010-12-12 09:20 AM

Attorney on acid? Gotta love it.

2010-12-12 10:38 AM

If you did this in the '60s clearly you are no Spring chicken, get yourself checked for dementia,concrete head.

2010-12-12 01:44 PM

All mood lifting drugs that affect our brain cells can
do damage if taken in large doses or over time. That is the price that all drug addicts pay, whether willingly or not.
Nutritional supplements are sometimes able to overcome some of that damage-B complex, choline, vitamins E, C and D, etc. Check it out.

2010-12-12 02:16 PM

If Edda says not to worry, then you shouldn't. After all, some people don't think SHE is real. And what about Santa?

39% of comments on this page were made by Edhat Community Members.