Unwelcome Visitors
updated: Jul 24, 2010, 9:45 AM

The other day my boyfriend informed me that he intends to sign us up for a website offering Bed and Breakfast services in private homes. He thinks it would be fun to meet new people and have extra money coming in, even though we both work. I wasn't too excited about this because I hate people, and we have a very small house. While it would be nice to have some extra money, I certainly don't know that it would justify the extra work I will have to do on laundry, cleaning, cooking, plus the invasion of privacy... all for $70 a night. Plus, I think the city prohibits this sort of thing, AND I don't speak German.

My question is: Should I get my new guest room sheets at Ross, Costco, or tell him to take a hike with the first single female European guest who comes along?

Not a Laundress or a Tourist in Downtown SB

---

Dear Laundress,

I have found really nice sheets at Tuesday Morning, but Plan B sounds good, too.

ROGER DODGER agree helpful negative off topic

2010-07-24 09:50 AM

Tuesday Morning is still open? Is it still on West Canon Perdido?

2010-07-24 10:40 AM

With "the extra work I will have to do on laundry, cleaning, cooking..." You're already running a B&B. Start charging your boyfriend $70.

2010-07-24 10:49 AM

I'm sorry, but this has become an embarrassment to an otherwise great website.

Please stop!

SHOREBIRD agree helpful negative off topic

2010-07-24 11:03 AM

He is inviting people into your home without your permission? No wonder you hate people. You can't even trust your boyfriend.

2010-07-24 11:21 AM

Say, certainly, as long as you do not have to do any of the extra work; you have enough as it is.

2010-07-24 11:31 AM

This city not only does not allow you running a business in private homes where this is not zoned, but you are also running afoul of the city tourism bed tax requirements let alone health and safety requirements for running a boarding house type business in a private residence.

And one could assume he will not be reporting this extra income to the IRS either.

But only you can choose to do something about this, unless one of your neighbors turns you in or something bad happens and you need the police to deal with the strangers you are letting into your house.

Nor will your home owners insurance cover you for any damage or liability, if you are using your house as a business allowing strangers come and go at will.

2010-07-24 11:32 AM

Let me get this straight. Your boyfriend "informed" you that "he intends" to turn the house you share into a B&B for tourists. You'll be doing the "laundry, cleaning, cooking." I think it's time to dump the boyfriend.

2010-07-24 11:36 AM

OMG 92213 this embarrasses you? If you can't laugh at this stuff your life is too serious! It's suppose to give you a little chuckle. :-)

2010-07-24 11:42 AM

A relative rents her guest cottage, weekends, week or whatever. No special permit. They saw her ad and called to tell her she has to pay bed tax. B & B would likely be the same but should only be run by someone who likes people or the guests won't have a pleasant experience. For me it would be a fun way to meet new folks and make sure they enjoy their Santa Barbara visit.

2010-07-24 12:55 PM

Edda gives great advice - Tuesday Morning rocks!

PS PlanB sounds pretty good, too.

2010-07-24 09:26 PM

92228P, it's not that I don't have a life so much as I guess I HAVE a sense of humor. And this is not funny. Never has been, but its' been off the rails un-funny as of late.

2010-07-24 09:46 PM

It is a humorous wacky way of talking about things that people may actually encounter in life. It is interesting to see different takes on any subject. And just like television programs, newspaper or books that are not to one's taste, don't click on these posts. Simple as that. Let other people have their fun without being censored by those who don't.

2010-07-25 06:56 AM

Running a B and B is a business and not to be taken lightly. There are laws to observe, including health and safety regulations. Times have changed since the old boarding house days of the travelling salesman.

SHOREBIRD agree helpful negative off topic

2010-07-25 07:40 AM

It's funny when people don't think Edda is funny and when they do think Edda is serious.

2010-07-25 08:11 AM

What is it if they don't think he (or she ? ) either funny or serious and simply just a huge and inconsequential bore?

2010-07-25 09:01 AM

"An illegal rental in Santa Barbara???"" I am shocked! Shocked I tell you!

ps to 92223: If those regulations were actually enforced in this town, we would lose over half the population, all businesses would close due to lack of workforce, and SB would cease to be. Get a grip, and look around you. Do you really think the 20-something waitress who just served you your dinner can afford $1.2M house?

2010-07-25 09:05 AM

Great column, Edda! And I am enjoying the comments, too.

2010-07-25 09:34 AM

Stop this stupid myth houses in SB all cost over one million dollars.

They do not and all you have to do is read the real estate sales for Santa Barbara to see many are under $400K and plenty are under $200K in easily commutable areas. Take two people making $15-20 and hour (not hard to find those jobs here at all) and you have people easily being able to buy a condo/house in Santa Barbara or the surrounding area. Or easily a mobile home in one of the Noleta parks.

Anyone complaining about not being able to afford Santa Barbara is (1) not willing to work and save, (2) wants something handed to them for nothing, or (3) too snobby to live where they can afford.

2010-07-25 09:49 AM

Homes for under 400K in SB? Do they have wheels? You are just plain wrong.

PS - I think Edda's funny, too!

2010-07-25 10:01 AM

I have a better idea: exchange the boyfriend for cats. You could even become a B & B for cats whose people are out of town and make a few extra $$ that way. Cats are bossy in charming ways, as opposed to boyfriends. Try it, you'll like it.

2010-07-25 10:03 AM

92319P, How is voicing an opinion about this column suddenly censoring?

Those comments that don't agree with your point of view aren't any less valid than yours.

2010-07-25 10:22 AM

This is true art. It challenges people's view of the world, stirs emotions, and makes think about things.

Edda ... you go girl!

2010-07-25 10:36 AM

I LOVE this column. It is hilarious fun. I wish all advice columns were like Ask Edda.

2010-07-25 10:43 AM

Read your NewsPress real estate sales for Santa Barbara area, if you want to find homes in this town you can afford. Because others have, and have gotten off the Complainers Dead End Express. Yes, some of them did start out on wheels in Noleta, but if this isn't good enough for you, then you picked the wrong place to live and complain.

Miramonte Dr SB- $409K. Lompoc sales: $130-227K; Goleta Birchwood $425K; Summerland $350K; Unicorp: $170-$495K.

Some people are making the investment for their lives and have stopped complaining. You are missing the boat choosing exaggeration and denial instead. Get thee up to Santa Barbara Highlands and make that downpayment. Now.

2010-07-25 03:11 PM

92333: Then it's just plain sadder than heck that "people" don't have anything better to do with their time than force themselves to read things on the internet they don't find interesting.

2010-07-26 04:41 PM

I would like some nice tourists to pay me to stay at my house. Where can I find that website? And, will I be able to request certain types of tourists??

54% of comments on this page were made by Edhat Community Members.