Out at the Movies
updated: Jul 03, 2010, 9:50 AM

Being in our 40s but of an occasionally sophomoric frame of mind, my husband and I went to see "Get Him to the Greek" (rated "R" and for very good reasons) at the Metro 4 on Friday. We'd settled into our seats when a couple arrived with their two daughters - one may have been a teenager, but the other looked about five. (And we know our kindergarteners, because we left ours with her 17-and 14- year-old brothers in order to go out.)

The movie in question was ... impossible to describe on a family site like Edhat. Aside from the language (creatively foul), there was nary a scene that did not feature bare breasts, wild, drug-and-alcohol-addled sex (very vivid!) or the running joke of the main character's being violated in a very private orifice in a very public way.

The little girl two rows ahead of us hung in there for about twenty minutes, but then had to be escorted to the potty (by an obviously irritated mum). When they got back, she was obviously bored enough by the F-bomb and anal rape scenes; she ran up and down the aisle and swung on the banister bars for the rest of the movie.

Poor little tyke.

Poor us. Everyone else in the theater (except for this child's oblivious guardians) seemed really uncomfortable, and the whole scenario really spoiled the movie for my husband and me ... and I'm sure for others.

My question is this: I wanted to complain to theater management, but my husband told me not to bother - that having sold their quota of seats, they really wouldn't care if some poor little girl was being incurably warped by watching such (admittedly funny) filth.

Who was right?

BTW, as we left the theater, I watched with satisfaction and then dismay as another member of the audience confronted this little girl's parents. Looking self-righteous, they obviously told this Good Samaritan to F-off and indignantly walked off, their daughters in tow.

Would love to know WEWHD. (What Edda Would Have Done?)

Thank you.

Signed, WEWHD

Dear WEWHD,

Just like you dear, I would have gone home and written a letter to Ask Edda. You are obviously a very smart woman.

2010-07-03 10:28 AM

Well if that ain't passing the buck with a non-answer answer....LOL

2010-07-03 11:08 AM

You say the little girl "ran up and down the aisle and swung on the banister bars for the rest of the movie." I would have complained to management. It doesn't matter what movie was being shown -- the girl's behavior and her parents' failure to deal with it was unacceptable.

2010-07-03 11:12 AM

@044P Exactly. Movies are so expensive these days, I could care less about someone's parenting and more about how i'm wasting ten dollars.

2010-07-03 12:40 PM

Selfish people. Too bad they have to ruin a nice night for others.

2010-07-03 01:19 PM

I think that some people don't think kids pay attention to bad stuff in the movies...but they do. And as for ruining everyone else's time, well, those same people just don't care! I'd have asked the theatre to refund my ticket price.

2010-07-03 02:08 PM

The responsible thing for those parents to have done, especially if they didn't realize the graphic-ness of the film, would be to leave, get a refund, and come back when they had a babysitter. It's not fair to the child or to other movie-goers to behave that way.

2010-07-03 02:44 PM

The world would be a better place if every time life gave us lemons, we went home and asked Edda.

2010-07-03 03:49 PM

Yes, many Edda surrogates would provide a wide cross-section of opinion.

2010-07-03 04:31 PM

No problem for me. I would never have stayed to watch this tasteless and boring film in the first place

2010-07-03 09:04 PM

I think I would have left the theatre, but called the law to check the kids welfare. I see that as abusive to take a kid to a movie like that especally with sexual stuff, and rape scenes.

2010-07-04 06:54 AM

Right on, Roger. Clearly an adult approach to this seedy problem.

2010-07-04 06:55 AM

Clearly this child's trauma and the parents' poor judgement can be relieved by medical marijuana. Let's get them a prescription pronto!

2010-07-04 07:33 AM

You need a license to drive a car. Wouldn't it be nice to get one for parenting? Basic common sense tells you not to expose kids to R- rated movies. Basic etiquette tells you that it's rude to ruin someone else's enjoyment of a movie or a dinner out by choosing not to parent your kids. Too bad people like that would never stop to think about it, let alone read a column like this one.

2010-07-04 09:15 AM

Definitely agree with Roger.

2010-07-04 09:17 AM

I'd have asked management why they allowed an underage child into an R rated movie. Aren't there rules or laws?

2010-07-04 09:52 AM

87148 Clearly an issue. However, I believe there is some trick clause included such as" unless accompanied by an adult". But again,was she actually acccompanied by an adult at the time? Debateable considering the circumstances and certainly not a responsible adult if so.

2010-07-04 11:19 AM

There is very little monitoring done by management. A woman sitting by my daughter contined a loud cell phone conversation when asked by people sitting around to please be quiet. She became louder and belligerent when asked again. Even her husband was embarressed. The manager was told and he gave my daughter her money back because she walked out, but as far as we know the annoying woman was not asked to leave.

2010-07-04 11:56 AM

Opinion of the movie notwithstanding, the parents failed on two counts: 1) bringing the child(ren) to an inappropriate movie and 2) allowing her to run wild in an inappropriate place. That's not parenting. Good luck when she's a teen.

28% of comments on this page were made by Edhat Community Members.