Linden and Casitas Pass Project
updated: Mar 09, 2017, 5:49 PM
By: SB Roads
Timeframe: March 12 - 18, 2017
Recent Progress: The steel reinforcement and concrete have been added to the large test pile following initial tests. Vegetation clearing is making way for the new Via Real connection, and the median guardrail has been removed for Stage 2 construction.
- Pile testing is ongoing, and the white hydraulic testing equipment will be used again next week. Dynamic tests will verify that pile lengths suit soil strengths for the future Linden Avenue overcrossing. Please visit the Construction Update page at http://www.sbroads.com/linden_casitas/construction_updates/ to view site photos and see large testing equipment at work.
- The northbound Highway 101 on-ramp at Linden Avenue will be closed from 9:00 am to 3:00 pm and from 8:00 pm to 5:00 am weekdays as needed for equipment delivery and setup.
- Crews will continue construction of a temporary sidewalk at Linden Avenue and Pacific Village Drive that will be used into 2018.
- Linden Avenue will have reversing traffic control as needed during the week for nighttime safety barrier placement near the freeway between 6:00 pm and 5:00 am.
Casitas Pass Road
- The southbound Highway 101 on-ramp at Casitas Pass Road will close as needed weekdays from 9:00 am to 3:00 pm and from 8:00 pm to 5:00 am to prepare the area for new bridge supports.
- Casitas Pass Road will have reversing traffic control as needed during the week fornighttime safety barrier placement near the freeway between 6:00 pm and 5:00 am.
- Crews will clear vegetation near the freeway overcrossing in preparation for the new bridge construction and in the area for the new Via Real connection. This will include removal of the large pine tree near the northbound Highway 101 off-ramp at Casitas Pass Road.
- The end of Via Real has been closed between the Carpinteria Creek bike path and Via El Rincon for vegetation removal in preparation for the Via Real connection. The bike path will remain open during this work, but will be closed later in the spring to enable bridge construction.
- Work will also begin on drainage improvements.
- Crews will place concrete safety barrier on Highway 101 at night throughout the week. There will be alternating northbound and southbound Highway 101 lane and ramp closures as needed from south of Carpinteria Creek to north of Linden Avenue beginning at 8:00 pm. Northbound Highway 101 lanes and ramps will reopen by5:00 am, and southbound Highway 101 lanes and ramps will reopen by 7:00 am. There will also be some short term daytime ramp closures as needed for additional safety barrier placement.
- Crews will clear the shoulder areas between Franklin Creek and Carpinteria Creek to prepare for upcoming sound wall construction, drainage improvements, and a new bridge over Carpinteria Creek.
- Crews will excavate dirt from around the construction site and move it to areas near Carpinteria Creek in preparation for the new bridges.
- Old roadway pavement will be excavated and drainage improvement work will begin in the median and shoulder areas.
Upcoming Work: March/April
Casitas Pass Road
- Crews will begin demolition of the overcrossing barrier in preparation for the new bridge construction.
- Pile testing continues for the new Linden Avenue overcrossing.
- Dirt movement will prepare for new bridge supports at the new Via Real bridge over Carpinteria Creek and the Casitas Pass Road overcrossing.
- Drainage work is ongoing.
About Hwy 101: Linden and Casitas Pass Project
The Hwy 101: Linden & Casitas Pass project will improve local circulation and freeway access in Carpinteria. The highway interchanges at Linden Avenue and Casitas Pass Road will be updated with new bridges and freeway ramps. Via Real will be connected across Carpinteria Creek through a new roundabout up to Linden Avenue. New bridges will be built over Carpinteria Creek on Hwy 101 and Via Real, and four new sound walls will be built to reduce freeway noise in nearby neighborhoods. Bike and pedestrian improvements will be added along Via Real, connected along Carpinteria Creek, and on the bridges over Linden Avenue and Casitas Pass Road.
Construction will occur from fall 2016 through 2020. Highway 101 will have 2 lanes open in each direction and local roads will remain open during daytime construction. There will be nighttime closures as needed. Highway 101 will have nighttime closures to allow for safety barrier placement and to prepare for bridge construction and demolition. Linden Avenue will be closed over Hwy 101 for approximately 3 weeks in 2018. New roads, bridges, ramps, and bikeways open in 2018, 2019, and 2020.
This project is the third phase of widening Highway 101 between Santa Barbara and Mussel Shoals. Eight of the 16 miles in this area have already been widened to include three lanes in each direction.
The Highway 101: Linden and Casitas Pass Project is a $60 million construction project funded by state and federal taxes. This project is a partnership between Caltrans, the Santa Barbara County Association of Governments, and the City of Carpinteria.
For more information, please visit our project website at www.SBROADS.com, call us at 805.845.5112, or email the project at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Comments in order of when they were received | (reverse order)