Dee Dowell Memorial Scholarship Award
updated: Mar 01, 2017, 1:30 PM
Source: Ventura Police Department
The Ventura Police Officers Association (VPOA) is accepting applications for the 14th annual Dee Dowell
Memorial Scholarship. The scholarships will be presented in May 2017 to honor Sergeant Darlon "Dee"
Dowell, who was shot and killed on August 7, 1978. Sergeant Dowell is the only officer in Ventura's history to
die in the line of duty.
In selecting scholarship recipients, the VPOA will consider academic achievement, school and community
service, and financial needs. Applications must contain all required information and be returned no later than
April 14, 2017. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Scholarship Awards: 1st Place $5,000.00, 2nd Place $3,500.00, 3rd Place $2,000.00, Honorable Mention(s)
· Be entering his/her freshman through senior year in college;
· Plan a course of study related to the field of public service;
· Ventura resident or have graduated from a high school in Ventura within the past three years, or a
Ventura Police Department employee or employee's child.
· Have a grade point average of 3.0 or better (based on a 4.0 system);
· Maintain a grade point average of 3.0 or better if selected as a recipient;
· Submit a resume of school and community activities, including a copy of transcripts through the most
· Submit a typed essay of 1000 words or less on "Service, what it means to me";
· Submit a letter of recommendation from a public servant.
For additional information please contact Cpl. Cameron Goettsche at 805-339-4400 or
firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications are included with this release and are also available at the front
desk of the Ventura Police Department located at 1425 Dowell Drive in Ventura.
Comments in order of when they were received | (reverse order)