HISTORY

Rincon Point-Local History or Urban Myth?
updated: Nov 16, 2013, 4:00 PM

By Greg

Was told the Bates Road / Rincon Point area straddles the Ventura and Santa Barbara county line. Long ago at the point was a house of ill repute. When law enforcement from one of the counties would be arriving to raid the place, they'd move to the other side of the county line. True, False, or somewhere between?

2013-11-16 04:05 PM

Don't know about your story, but yes that is the county line.

Street view

2013-11-16 04:15 PM

The Ventura Freeway begins at the Santa Barbara / Ventura County line at the Bates Road exit of U.S. 101. I'm pretty sure local LE can cross county lines, just not state lines.

2013-11-16 04:17 PM

Rincon Creek, at the surf spot Indicator is the County line. The takeoff at Indicator is in SB., Rincon Cove is in Ventura.

2013-11-16 04:22 PM

It's a lot quicker to muster up a raid than it is to move a house of ill repute from one side of the road, or county line for that matter, to the other.

Now, I come from a small midwestern town that straddled the state line and drinking establishments would move from one side of the street to the other when drinking age laws changed in one state or the other. But it didn't happen overnight.... or in the time it took to deputise a posse.

2013-11-16 06:46 PM

I've heard that story too, but I don't think it's true. Mostly because I was interested enough in it to research it many years back and wasn't able to find anything about it.

Curious to see if anyone comes up with any solid evidence tho...

2013-11-17 08:06 AM

549... Urban myths are so much easier to spread in the era of the interwebs. We see it on every stage: repeat something unbelievable enough times and people start to believe it.

FLICKA agree helpful negative off topic

2013-11-17 09:45 AM

Why do people unsure of themselves have the need to be nasty? Edhat is open to questions, no reason not to ask. I've heard the "red light" story. The point wasn't that the house was moved, just the occupants who ran to the other side of the county line. Yes, Bates is the county line; time was, Santa Barbara County included Ventura.

2013-11-17 10:27 AM

Flicka, I wholeheartedly agree. No question is a dumb question. A web search on a question might turn up some answers, but voices in the local community have resonance and history and memories that web searches won't turn up. This is a great question. I've wondered too, where the county line is. I'd really like to know if the story about the house of ill-repute is true. Thanks, OP, for asking this.

2013-11-17 10:52 AM

if that's the case i've ridden many a wave from santa barbara to ventura!

2013-11-17 08:26 PM

You know, I think I may know something about this, but I shouldn't say... I will merely say that the story has a good deal of merit.

2013-11-18 11:29 AM

My mother used to say, the only repute you can have is a bad one.

2013-11-24 06:42 AM

You know,...... it's a shame how these neat bits of history and queries get hijacked and get "dead ended". I would be fun to know more, and in the end, we still don't !

8% of comments on this page were made by Edhat Community Members.