Glamorous Baby Sea Lion
updated: Feb 13, 2013, 10:46 AM

By Edhat Subscriber

Saw this adorable baby sea lion on Hollywood Beach. Several of us who were out for a walk tried to call the proper authorities in case the sea lion was in trouble but all thought it was normal and he was ok. Made for some great photos and I do hope his momma came back for him!

2013-02-13 11:06 AM

Awwww! He's so cute! Hope he's ok.

2013-02-13 11:28 AM

Hollywood Beach in Oxnard?

2013-02-13 11:36 AM

Do you mean Hollywood By the Sea in Oxnard?

BULLSEYEB agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-13 12:28 PM

I hope the seal is OK.

It is a beautiful photo! Nice capture of the sunset with the island in the background and the seal centered in the foreground.

2013-02-13 01:07 PM

The seal looks so contemplative looking at the ocean...guess he's trying to figure it all out just like we are. Thanks for the nice picture....love the VC beaches :)

2013-02-13 07:17 PM

Thanks! I took this photo on Hollywood Beach (in Oxnard).

I really do hope his mom came to get him! I went out there today and he was gone, so I'm hopeful!

2013-02-14 03:45 AM

It would be good if people could learn that momma seals often leave their babies ashore for periods of time. Interference is a bad thing.

2013-02-14 07:15 AM

It is Hollywood by the sea and leave the wild life alone.THEY dont need your hypersesitive help for everything that seems out of sorts to you.

FLICKA agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-14 07:30 AM

Thanks for a beautiful picture! The "baby" looks big enough to be on it's own. I appreciate you made calls to be sure it was O.K.. It's not being hypersensitive to make a call if you think there is a problem, you obviously stayed back and didn't interfer and that's important.

2013-02-14 08:35 AM

Very nice shot, lucky that you had your camera with you.

2013-02-14 09:08 AM

ok, actually it is Hollywood Beach, I live there.

I did not interfere, I was among several couples who were walking the beach at sunset, which I do nearly every day along Hollywood Beach.

I was not the first to call. The Sea Lion was having trouble, he appeared either very tired or sick. When I came upon the sea lion another couple had already called and they were told he was just tired. Another couple came by who was used to seeing seals and said he did not look ok as he was struggling a bit. So, for good measure I called again to make sure.

I didn't "help" him or touch him. I did call the proper authorities to be sure he wasn't sick or injured and I'm sure if they came to check they would have known what to do better than me or some other passers by, which is mostly what I was worried about. There are lot of dogs and traffic on that beach.

Thank you for the complimetns, I am glad I had my camera too! A nice experience overall.

2013-02-14 10:02 AM

There was a report on TV the other night about lots of juvenile sea lions coming ashore who were sick and/or malnourished and being cared for by a local organization. I hope that's not the case with this one, as it's probably too late to call the proper agency for assistance. But in the future, we all may want to keep this in mind. I'm sorry, I don't have more details at hand right now.

AUNTIE S. agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-14 05:18 PM

That is a fantastic picture. Thank you.

38% of comments on this page were made by Edhat Community Members.