Local Stories by Local People
updated: Jan 26, 2013, 2:00 PM

Have you heard of the latest hip prank, swatting? When you were a kid, what type of pranks were you plotting?

External Link

2013-01-26 03:18 PM

“Swatting is an attempt to trick any emergency service (such as a 9-1-1 dispatcher) into dispatching any emergency response based on a false reporting of an incident.” – Wikipedia

With this in mind, and considering ‘Real Emergencies such as a heart attack, gunshot wound, baby with severe allergic reaction” may not be answered in time to save the person/victim, do you think it’s wise to post such pranks here? Sure we all did some stupid stuff when we were young, but that does not mean we should throw it out there for some idle hands to wreak havoc, does it?

2013-01-26 04:07 PM

chill out 788, swatting has it's own wiki page. i don't think you need to worry about rachel's audience. think economies of scale, let's be real here.

2013-01-26 04:50 PM

Hip trick?
Hope you or someone else doesn't need help while you're having fun swatting 911.There should be stiff criminal penalties regardless of the perps age.

2013-01-26 05:21 PM

Lame, "ripped" from the Internet, and, yes, not worth giving any further semi-validation.

2013-01-26 06:27 PM

788 is completely right.

Why do you think school shootings happen so much more often now? It's for the same reason! Put things in the media enough times and they will find ways into peoples' subconsiences. "Glorify" these same things and you will see these people start to act on those small, planted, subconscious ideas.

It's a slippery slope. To deny that bringing attention to something will make people want to do it more when they might not have by themselves is naive.

2013-01-26 06:40 PM

Not an appropriate post. Would you put a poem about tagging or shoplifting?

2013-01-26 07:09 PM

@869: Completely agree. Not appropriate. Or even clever for that matter.

MESARATS agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-27 06:15 AM

Did you all actually read the poem? I think it is clever. Some of comments are a great example of taking something out of context. Rachel, it is very humorous how riled up people can get over your rhymes. The funny thing about swatting is 15 cop cars will show within minutes up at a celebrities house, but for a robbery in Compton one would be lucky to get someone to take a repot in person. I recall the question was about pranks.

We made crank calls. The neighbor on the party line put a end to that. On May Day our tradition was to pick flowers, leave them on the neighbors door step, ring the bell and run away. My brother and my best friend streaked Dino's Pizza. I was the watch out. A friend with a notoriously messy car was a recipient of a well placed crab claw (not by me), sneak attack ambushing friends and enemies with dirt clod fights. Someone kept knocking down my moms mail box. 30 plus years later I discover it was this punk kid I knew from the beach and his friend in a Ford Galaxy "mail box hunting", he is now my SO. My brother and I pranked our mom mercilessly our entire life, stuff like having her convinced she was being followed by the cops, fake calls from the police and telling her we saw our dad and his friend coming out of the bathroom at Pershing Park holding hands. One of us would start a story and the other would jump in. She had a great sense of humor. Also much use of the whoopie cushion mentioned in another post and the high tech version fart machine with the remote. My brother and I recently had a prank war with our cars involving some hilarious bumper stickers, creative use of those stick figure family stickers and a very realistic looking dog turd. I regret starting that one.

ROGER DODGER agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-27 06:53 AM

I really can't print some of the things I did as a kid they were alittle more intense than Swatting some of them..If I were younger I'd probably be doing something like it.. As I was involved in a few pranks close to Swatting involving emergency vehicles..Of course the statue of limitations protects me it's been over 40 years or so..:) As far as mellower jokes I put awhole packager of cigarette loads in one of my moms cigarettes once and it blew up at once littlr pieces of burnt paper was in her hair, powder marks on her face and one wildeyed crazy look..Pretty Funny.. Before my dad died I took a 6 pack of his beer replacing it with fake beer in a pitcher he didn't like it tasted too flat I drank the real beer..I threw frozen dog poo poo at a detectives windsheild shattering it.. Played with explosives when I was a kid among other things..

FLICKA agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-27 08:12 AM

We would call a store and ask if they had Prince Albert (tobacco) in a can; a "yes" had us responding, "Would you please let him out." Or, "This is the Electric Co., is your refrigator running? To a "yes" we'd say, "Please catch it before it runs down the street." We'd laugh our heads off after hanging up. Kids can be easily amused!

CANDLE LADY agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-27 08:21 AM

Ha! Thank you to everyone who shared prank stories from their childhood. Those were fun to read.

To the critics: the poem is not intended to praise swatting. It was written with a sense of longing for old school pranks which did not waste government money. Of course, as Roger pointed out, kids have been doing that a long time too.

RH

2013-01-27 09:44 AM

We'd flip through the phone book to find and "Whitehead"s then call and ask for Mr or Mrs Blackhead. I remember one lady responded "He's not in, and yes, I caught my refrigerator already too" before hanging up.

My sister got in BIG trouble for TPing a neighbors yard and had to spend a day cleaning it up, so I never tried that.

My friends and I almost stole a fish mailbox that belonged to the family of a kid who was mean to us in Jr High but we chickened out/came to our senses when we got to her house.

I did steal a few road signs to decorate my room with including a "slippery when wet" sign to put above my bed in high school. I thought I was the wittiest person around. Looking back I'm really surprised my mom didn't make me put them back up.

2013-01-27 10:15 AM

A thousand years or so ago when I was in high school and Bray's 101 Restaurant was near where the DMV is, before Bray's moved to Goleta, a buddy of mine and I went there late one night for Cokes. As we were leaving, we noticed a CHP car parked near ours. On a dare, using a dime as a screwdriver, I stole both license plates from the CHP unit. I've still got 'em, too.

2013-01-27 10:51 AM

001P - That is a great story!

2013-01-27 01:41 PM

Love reading these pranks -- makes me nostaligic for my long, lost son -- anybody here seen Michael? Years and years ago, when I was a kid, my friends and I would amuse ourselves by telephoning all the taxicab companies listed in the phone book, ordering the cabs to come to the neighbor's house. We brazen kids hid behind the window curtains, giggling as one by one, the taxis pulled up across the street and the drivers got into heated discussion and arguments about who arrived first, who called the cabs, and who would pick up the fare, and who was going to pay for the trips, etc. Such great fun, all before the days of television!

73% of comments on this page were made by Edhat Community Members.