In Memory of Peter Sklar
updated: Dec 10, 2012, 8:30 AM

It is with deep sorrow and a heavy heart that we announce the death of Edhat founder,creator, and publisher Peter Sklar on Sunday morning, December 9, 2012. Peter was 50, and succumbed to complications from pneumonia following a fifteen month struggle with inoperable brain cancer. Peter died at home, surrounded by his wife, Sue Foley, and his two sons, Nick and Zack. As always, the faithful Edhat dog Molly was by his side. A memorial is being planned and will be announced at a later date. Remembrances may be posted on Edhat, and the family asks that in lieu of flowers a contribution in Peter's honor be made to the Cancer Center of Santa Barbara.

Peter started Edhat in 2003 and, in concurrence with his planning, it will continue as an on-line publication daily.

Peter Sklar, publisher of Edhat, passed away yesterday at age 50. (12/11/12)
893 2
Peter Sklar, the software mastermind who changed Santa Barbara's media landscape with the creation of the website Edhat.com in 2003, passed away on Sunday morning. (12/11/12)
1258 2
Peter Sklar, creator and publisher of Edhat, passed away December 9, 2012 after a fifteen-month struggle with cancer. (12/12/12)
449 add
13972 17
Peter Sklar, the mastermind behind the community based website Edhat.com, passed away Sunday morning after a 15-month battle with inoperable brain cancer. (12/12/12)
426 add
A tribute to Peter Sklar by John Dickson, the Restaurant Guy. (12/12/12)
2241 3
Peter Sklar, the software designer who created the Edhat website in Santa Barbara, died Sunday after battling brain cancer, according to a statement on the website. (12/12/12)
416 add
Remembering Peter Sklar by Craig Smith. (12/12/12)
2399 4
David Powdrell takes a moment to remember Peter Sklar, the elusive man behind Edhat. (12/16/12)
4503 17

SBSURFERLIFE agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-10 08:39 AM

Rest in Peace Peter, Edhat will continue as a legacy and tribute to you.

2012-12-10 08:40 AM

RIP, so sad.

2012-12-10 08:41 AM

RIP sir, condolences to your family. Edhat has certainly become an integral part of Santa Barbara.

JOSIE agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-10 08:42 AM

What a tragedy! He created a community unlike any other. Long live his memory in the Edhat community.

2012-12-10 08:44 AM

We send our sympathy to you at this time.

2012-12-10 08:46 AM

Thank you, Peter, for your efforts in giving Santa Barbara a news source that was needed even before the News-Press crossed over to the Dark Side. Edhat is the first source thousands of people now turn to for breaking news and community chit-chat. Your legacy will certainly live on. Thank you. You will truly be missed.

2012-12-10 08:48 AM

I was not aware that he was sick. Mr. Sklar built a great platform for the community. I am grateful for his life.
Don Lubach

CATMOM agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-10 08:50 AM

So sad, my condolences to his family and friends. RIP, Peter.

2012-12-10 08:51 AM

I am deeply saddened by this news. Peter was an amazing man, with so many wonderful traits and talents. I’m fortunate to have met him and been his friend. In a perfect world I would have had the opportunity to tell him just how much I admired him and to say good-bye as he passed, but as we all know, this is not a perfect world. And we also know that life is not fair. My thoughts and prayers for healing and peace are with Sue, the boys and Molly. Rest in peace Peter. You are missed.

2012-12-10 08:51 AM

So sad. Rest in peace. Condolences to the family.

2012-12-10 08:54 AM

My heart goes out to his family. This is just so sad. Thank you Peter for your amazing vision, Edhat will live on.

2012-12-10 08:55 AM

Peter was a a very talented programmer, editor and visionary who saw a need and filled it. He has left us way too soon. Thank you Peter. Rest in peace.

ROB EGENOLF agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-10 08:56 AM

My thoughts are with your family today

2012-12-10 08:58 AM

It was an honor and a privilege to work with Peter at Edhat from 2008 to 2011. I learned so much about online media, technology, and community from him. He was incredibly passionate about Santa Barbara and the unique and exceptional ability of people here to connect and communicate via Edhat.

Sue, Nick, Zack, Molly, the dedicated staff - my thoughts are with all of you during this awful time. I will be telling people about Peter for the rest of my life - his legacy of creativity and fearlessness deserves to never be forgotten.

Sincerely, Leah Etling

D8VANILLA agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-10 08:59 AM

So very sorry for the huge loss to the family and the entire community.

EdHat has filled a void in my life on a daily basis and I give a giant THANKS to the founder, Peter. I'm sure we will make sure his legacy continues and keep the website rolling.

MTNDRIVER agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-10 09:00 AM

So very sad to hear this. What a legacy Peter has left, a true service to the community, both informing and connecting people. Many blessings to the family and Molly.

2012-12-10 09:01 AM

A very sad day. Peter changed the way we view news in this town. Respect.

2012-12-10 09:03 AM

Peace to all friends and family...may his heart live forever in yours~

RED CREEK agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-10 09:05 AM

This is a great loss for our community. Edhat is a local treasure, and reflects the creativity and vision of Peter. 50 is so young. Please let the Edhat community know what we can do to help his family.

2012-12-10 09:06 AM

Edhat is a wonderful tribute and legacy for Peter. May his friends and family find comfort in the memories of the happy times spent with him.

2012-12-10 09:08 AM

Peace and love to Peter and his family.

EDHATBARBARA agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-10 09:13 AM

We all strive to make our mark on the world and leave it better than we found it. Few succeed as Peter did. Our community is better because of him. It is a true legacy; he is remembered and shall be.

Deepest condolences to his family and members of the edhat staff. We appreciate all of you.

2012-12-10 09:14 AM

Shame. Great loss to our community. Thanks for all you did, Peter, in getting the attention of our local agencies to provide better emergency notifications. That is a permanent legacy.

2012-12-10 09:18 AM

I often disagreed with the editorial policies here, but you can't argue that Peter built something Santa Barbara truly needed. 50 is too young...

2012-12-10 09:28 AM

I am beyond saddened by this news. I so hoped he would surmount the cancer. Edhat is an outstanding gift to the community of Santa Barbara and Peter will be long remembered for his kindness, his sharp wit, his caring for Santa Barbara and his wonderful sense of humor. I always liked talking with him and appreciated being asked to share my photos. Warmest of thoughts to his family.

Betsy Cramer

2012-12-10 09:30 AM

Anything I could think to say seems so inadequate. I am so sorry.

Jo Duffy

MIELEMAI agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-10 09:30 AM

This is such sad news. My thoughts go out to his Peter's family. I am so thankful for all Peter has done for our community -- he has left it a better and more connected place. I have endless gratitude to him for that. May we all work together to continue Peter's legacy in making this online community a thriving, constructive, and informative place to connect.

2012-12-10 09:31 AM

Such sad news. My condolences to his family & staff.

MOONWILLOW agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-10 09:32 AM

2012-12-10 09:51 AM

Our thoughts are with Sue and the boys. Peter had a calm but creative manner about him and he will be missed. Often seeing him pass by on one of his many jogs and hearing him yell out my “handle”, I now regret not stopping him to have a longer conversation.

2012-12-10 09:51 AM

We have lost another gem. Thank you Peter for your contribution to our community!
To family and friends, you are in my thoughts.

RIP Peter Sklar

2012-12-10 09:56 AM

I don't believe I can convey my response any better than has been said. The community may have lost the physical Peter but his soul will carry on through the legacy he created. Thank you Peter. My heartfelt condolences to his family.

2012-12-10 09:57 AM

Truly sad news. Heartfelt condolences to family, friends and staff. Indeed, let's hope that Edhat will continue to grow and thrive as part of his legacy.

MICRODOC agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-10 09:57 AM

Santa Barbara has lost another treasure. RIP Peter and thanks for all your tireless efforts to make Santa Barbara a safe and sane place to live...

2012-12-10 09:58 AM

Prayers and thoughts for his family. So sorry for your loss. Thank you Peter for bringing us the best local website there is. Truly, hands down. I get more info and news on Edhat than anywhere else. From the important stuff to the not important stuff. Edhat will always be a part of my heart. Thank you for creating such a positive impact on the community. You will be greatly missed. Rest in peace and God bless.

2012-12-10 10:01 AM

Deepest condolences to all.

2012-12-10 10:03 AM

I'm so sorry to hear this. I could swear I saw Peter and a group of friends jogging on Saturday morning.

RIP, you were a visionary.

Dan Seibert

2012-12-10 10:07 AM

Rest in Peace Peter. He was always so kind when he and I communicated. A true gentleman. My sincere condolences to his family and the staff of Edhat.

2012-12-10 10:08 AM

Tragic news for all of us. RIP.

PURPLERIDER agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-10 10:12 AM

178, agreed.

RIP Peter.

2012-12-10 10:15 AM

Oh Peter, Thank you for having the insight to weave a web that connects us to each other. EdHat creates a wealth of information and friendships that extend far beyond our beautiful city.

I will miss you--the twinkle in your eye when you smile and your thoughtfulness.

Sue, Nick and Zack my thoughts and love are with you.

2012-12-10 10:16 AM

too young! My best to his family. He created a novel & busy media outlet. Peace to his family.

2012-12-10 10:17 AM

So sad,
thank you for the wonderful gift you gave our community.
Sorry I never had a chance to thank you in person.
My deepest condolences to Peter's family

2012-12-10 10:22 AM

I am so saddened to hear of this news. Our deepest sympathies to his family - Sue, Zach and Nick. Peter was such cool person, larger than life! He left his mark here in Santa Barbara. He will be missed, and he will be long remembered.

POWDRELL agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-10 10:23 AM

Wow!! We have a lost a really good man. Peter was a man with a powerfully creative vision. He loved Santa Barbara and all the fascinating treasures around every street corner. I will always be indebted to him for giving me a venue to share my random photos and eclectic stories. Peace to you on your next journey, Peter. Our prayers are with Sue and the family. David Powdrell

2012-12-10 10:26 AM

My deepest sympathy to Sue and to the boys.

Peter Sklar's Edhat has been a precious contribution to our community, especially since the demise of much of the local print media.

It is good to know that Edhat will live on!

2012-12-10 10:27 AM

Oh no! My heart goes out to those left behind. Once his suffering ended theirs began. May cherished, sweet and grateful memories carry you through.

I never knew him, but love Edhat and thankful for creating it for us.

2012-12-10 10:28 AM

My heart is broken. Such a tremendous loss.

2012-12-10 10:32 AM

Sorry to hear about the death of someone so talented and who was so community minded. He was much too young to die. I feel so sad for his family. What a loss for Santa Barbara.

2012-12-10 10:33 AM

As everyone before me has mentioned, this is a huge loss for our community, beyond his family and friends. We are so indebted to Peter Sklar for creating this thing called EdHat. We have such a reliable source of community news, which has kept us going as neighbors and unknown friends. When something odd happens, Edhat knows the answer. Mr. Sklar's vision has provided us with a lasting legacy of his mindful spirit.
My condolences and heartfelt sympathy to his family.
Sharon Hoshida

2012-12-10 10:34 AM

I am so very sorry. Sending love and caring thoughts to his family.

2012-12-10 10:38 AM

This is such sad news. My condolences to the family.

2012-12-10 10:40 AM

To Peter:
Peter - you are a great person. An article I read today about a writer who has been trying to write a book about greatness, summarized it by "greatness is defined by helping those around you". Peter, you have helped so many people by making Santa Barbara a better place. I will always value the time we spent together over the last year hacking the Edhat code. You are just so clever and insightful. I'm so sorry your rich life was cut short. Rest in peace. Steve Miley

2012-12-10 10:42 AM

Our community is richer thanks to Peter. Sorry to hear the news.

2012-12-10 10:49 AM

Your family will be in my prayers. Thank you for all you did for our community. Woof to Molly, you're a good dog.
oxoxoox

2012-12-10 10:49 AM

I knew he was sick- too young, too young!

2012-12-10 10:50 AM

Let's make this the most commented edhat posting ever!! Thank you sir!!
My condolences to family

2012-12-10 10:54 AM

Peter Sklar left us all too soon. But he leaves a wonderful legacy for the community to enjoy and remember him by. Rest in peace.

2012-12-10 10:55 AM

My heartfelt condolences to Peter's family. Very sad news. He did much for the community, and left behind a legacy, EdHat.

2012-12-10 10:56 AM

Very sad. RIP. Thank you for your great contribution to this community. Your legacy will live on!

2012-12-10 10:57 AM

RIP Peter... such a loss.

2012-12-10 11:00 AM

I am newish to Edhat, but love it. Thank you Peter.
Love and kindness to his family.

2012-12-10 11:03 AM

I met Peter just as he was beginning this struggle. Although I didn't know him well, I enjoyed talking to him, and am very sad and sorry for his family's loss.

LOUWHO? agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-10 11:04 AM

A very sad day indeed...!! God - you got another really great angel today. I wish you could of left him here for us. Peter - we can never repay you for all you did for many communities, not just Santa Barbara. You were so selfless. I hope the community will always be there for your boys and wife in your honor. Thank you!!!!

2012-12-10 11:05 AM

Very sad news. Condolences to his friends and family.

BECKY agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-10 11:11 AM

My deepest sympathies to his family and friends. My enduring gratitude to Peter for creating a reliable local news and community site, where we can come to know each other and our community so much better, where we have become a virtual neighborhood.

2012-12-10 11:12 AM

I have an enormous amount of gratitude and admiration for this man who figured out how to simply and effectively harness the power of community. Peter Sklar will not be soon forgotten as a visionary who gave far more than he reaped. Where would we be without him? More alone in the world, unable to reach out, unpracticed at working together as a community. Edhat is as much an exercise (and experiment) in cooperation as it is infotainment. Therein lies the Edhat genius -- Peter operationalized media. Huffington Post doesn't come close in this regard.

WAHINE agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-10 11:18 AM

I am so sorry to hear this. I have thought about Peter and his family often since learning of his illness, hoping I would soon hear good news. Besides his Edhat contribution to the community, Peter was a very nice person. My deepest sympathies to his family and friends..

SBMKR agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-10 11:23 AM

My deepest sympathies and prayers are with the family. What a sad loss for our community.

2012-12-10 11:26 AM

Prayers and Hugs to his Family and Friends.

LIMES agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-10 11:35 AM

Tears in my eyes. We are so lucky Peter directed his attention and talents to our community. To his wife, sons, and the Edhat supportive staff: We are grieving for you and with you.

2012-12-10 11:39 AM

I can't add any more to this previous post, so I'm quoting it. "I am so sorry to hear this. I enjoy Edhat and ever since I was introduced to it, I check it daily, sometimes several times. I've learned a lot from Edhat and am very grateful for the news and information it provides. RIP Peter and many condolences to his family and friends. He did what many of us strive to do, and that is to make the world a better place and to be remembered. I believe he did just that. " Thanks, MoonWillow, well said!

2012-12-10 11:46 AM

Peter was like family to me and I will miss him for the rest of my life. He was a genuinely good person and I am deeply sadded by his passing. Much love to Sue, Nick, Zach, Lucy and Molly. Nothing loved is ever lost. Rosann Malloch

JOHN WILEY agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-10 11:52 AM

Such a shock to check Edhat just now and discover this tragic news! Reading through all the comments, I find so much in each message that resonates with my own thoughts and feelings.

We are truly fortunate to have had Peter among us giving freely of his playfulness, creativity, and boundless energy. His contributions have done so much to make our favorite town even better.

Sue, please let us know if there's any way we can ease your mourning.

With love, appreciation and deep sorrow,
John Wiley

2012-12-10 11:54 AM

So very sad, may he rest in peace and may his family know that my prayers are with them, what a difficult time this must be. He gave Santa Barbara a wonderful gift, that many of us treasure every day! Rest in Peace and all my best to his family, may you get through this difficult time with the love and strength.

2012-12-10 11:56 AM

Thank Peter Sklar for creating this !

2012-12-10 11:57 AM

I'm so Sad to read this. Peter was on my mind just yesterday, I was wondering how he was doing.

The loss of Peter is a loss to all of Santa Barbara, he made us larger by his vision. He nurtured and enhanced "community" in our area with his steadfast vigor in providing a forum for us all to play in, get information, and get to know one another. This is a great legacy from a bright, caring, and community oriented man.

Behind him is a steadfast and supportive wife and sons, and to Sue and the boys we are also grateful and express our deepest sympathy in their personal loss. Santa Barbara is a better, more connected place, from their efforts and we are eternally grateful for that. Thank you Peter. Thank you Sue and your fine sons.

Anne Cameron Wiley

DOWNDOG agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-10 11:58 AM

Thank you, Peter, for the gift of Edhat. My deepest sympathy to the Sklar family.

2012-12-10 11:58 AM

There are a lot of things to love about Santa Barbara and Edhat, warts and all, is one of them. It's bookmarked on my laptop, right under The New York Times.

Peter's passing is about the saddest news I can recall reading here. I'm very sorry for his family's loss. I didn't know him, but Edhat enhances my life on a daily basis and I thank him for that.

2012-12-10 11:58 AM

I think the edhat orange should be black for the remainder of this week.

2012-12-10 11:58 AM

Wow what a loss for SB. I love using EdHat and check it a few times a day. Condolences to his family. What a legacy Peter has left Santa Barbara, we should all be thankful for his great work!

2012-12-10 12:02 PM

This is so sad. Nothing I can think of to say seems at all adequate. Rest in peace, Peter. Thank you for Edhat. My deepest sympathies to your family, loved ones, and friends.

2012-12-10 12:04 PM

Terribly sad news, my thoughts and condolences to his family, friends, and the edhat staff with his passing

2012-12-10 12:05 PM

RIP Peter. :(

2012-12-10 12:08 PM

I'm sorry to Peter's friends & family and to the community for his loss. Far too young.

2012-12-10 12:09 PM

I had no idea he was ill. This is terribly sad news. Edhat has been and continues to be my favorite local corner of the internet, and his imagination and vision are much appreciated. My heart goes out to his family.

AQUAHOLIC agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-10 12:12 PM

RIP Peter, and long live Edhat. Hugs to Peter's family, friends and all the Edhatters out there...

2012-12-10 12:13 PM

How sad. Our community (both real and virtual) is better off because of his efforts. We should all strive to create something as meaningful and lasting.

2012-12-10 12:15 PM

Maybe people can show their appreciation and support by becoming Edhat paid subscribers! I'm already one, but how awesome if today was the day the most people ever became paid subscribers!

BTW, I'm in no ways associated with Edhat, just a thought. I just started thinking of how tough it's going to be for Edhat going forth!

YIN YANG agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-10 12:21 PM

My gratitude to Mr. Sklar for his creation and
My deepest sympathy to his family and friends.
Love and legacy live on.

2012-12-10 12:22 PM

I'm so grateful for what this man created. It inspires me to think bigger with my work and life. Thank you Peter for bringing together our community.

BULLSEYEB agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-10 12:22 PM

My thoughts are with you all at Edhat and with Peter's family. Peace and pain free days to Peter.

2012-12-10 12:25 PM

So very sad - Peter will live on through Edhat and in the hearts and memories of his family and all who knew him.

2012-12-10 12:27 PM

You will be missed!

2012-12-10 12:30 PM

OMFG... I am speechless. I had the pleasure of knowing Peter for 6+ years and am truly blessed for that. The city and the world have suffered a great loss with his passing. Reach into your hearts and tell your family you love them because you never know what tomorrow holds. Soo sad!

2012-12-10 12:31 PM

Storm33, I love your idea! Something similar had occurred to me, so I renewed my subscription today and added an amount for Edhat to use as subsidy for a free subscription for someone less fortunate of their choosing.

This is a very difficult time for Edhat staff. Renewing subscriptions is a small way that we can help, expressing appreciation and support.

Peter Sklar, I'm thinking of this as P.S. I love you day.

PJG agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-10 12:31 PM

I am deeply saddened to hear this news. Although I never met Peter I feel like I have lost a friend. This quirky, informative, playful and resepectful website has been a part of my daily life for years. Lucky for us, his legacy will live on thanks to his creatvie insight. My prayers are with his family and friends. RIP

2012-12-10 12:37 PM

So very sorry to read this news. Thanks to Peter for all he did for the SB community, and warm wishes to his family. A great loss.

2012-12-10 12:39 PM

Sue, Zach and Nick, I am so sorry for your terrible loss. Peter was a visionary who pulled the Santa Barbara community together as no one else has done. Edhat is an extraordinary resource, and I for one am proud to be a supporter. Thank you, Peter. You did a fantastic job here. Rest in peace knowing that you have left behind a legacy that will forever keep in your Santa Barbara's hearts and minds.

PURPLERIDER agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-10 12:40 PM

From The Indepenent:

2012-12-10 12:43 PM

RIP sir. Edhat has become an intregral part of a good number of local lives. My sincere condolences to the family.

RLMCDON agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-10 12:49 PM

My love goes out to his family and friends. Thank you, Peter, for all you did for the community.

JAZZEE agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-10 12:54 PM

Peter, thank you for giving us Edhat. You've left with us a wonderful legacy. And I'm so happy I had the opportunity to meet you and Sue. Every morning when I look at Edhat I'll be reminded of you and how you helped us connect as a community. Edhat has become an important part of my life journey. Thank you.

Kim Favors

ROGER DODGER agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-10 01:07 PM

You helped me become someone I could not become on my own I love you I miss you I wish I could trade places with you. I wish I woulda talked to you some more. I too have seen someone around the neighborhood that looks like you Weird... I will never as long as I live on this damn rock forget you Your the greatest Bro.

WESTZYDE agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-10 01:09 PM

I'm so sorry to hear this. He's done such a wonderful thing for us all. Edhat has become a way for all of us to interact. it's so fine. His family can be proud.

2012-12-10 01:12 PM

Leah Etling has a nice writeup on Peter on her blog. http://letling.wordpress.com/

2012-12-10 01:22 PM

I worked at Edhat with Peter briefly and more-so than the actual job I just remember enjoying being around Peter and how many jokes and laughs we'd have on a daily basis. Such an all-around awesome person and I wish there could have been more time.

2012-12-10 01:29 PM

RIP and condolences to his family. EdHat is awesome thanks to Peter. What a great legacy. Amen.

2012-12-10 01:34 PM

Peter's creation has been, and hopefully will continue to be, a terrific source of many things including info, thoughtfulness, laughter, and now, some tears.
Thank you for the new age legacy of Edhat, Peter Sklar!
Condolences to family and friends.

EZ2 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-10 01:34 PM

I will always be a loyal fan of Peter..he did something pretty incredible..edhat.com its hard to accept the reality of this..RIP

2012-12-10 01:48 PM

So sad. Peter was a wonderful man and a trailblazer. May his family find solace in the community's heartfelt sympathy and Peter's legacy.

2012-12-10 01:53 PM

I'm shocked to read of Peter's passing. I never met Peter, but I've been an Edhat fan since the days of Big Dog Parade photos and (running) race results. Besides being the go-to source for immediate local news, I loved the Where Is It contests, and unusual "trivia" collected about Santa Barbara, the beautiful photos (sunsets included), and being a part of this virtual community.

I agree with a few others, that an ideal way to honor Peter is by subscribing to the site to help the staff continue this wonderful community resource.

Thank you Peter.

2012-12-10 01:53 PM

RIP Peter! My condolences to his wife Sue and family. It sounds as though he has left behind many wonderful gifts :).

Why is did he name the site EDhat? and not Peterhat or Skylarhat? or SBhat . . .? You see where I am going with this . . ..

2012-12-10 01:54 PM

Being new to Santa Barbara I have appreciated learning more about my new community through Edhat. Thank you for making that possible, Mr Sklar! My sincerest condolences to his family, friends and Edhat staff on your tragic loss.

2012-12-10 01:56 PM

Thank you for building this community, Peter! Sending positive vibes to your loved ones. Free from pain, suffering and illness, now you can rest in peace.

SBCARDINAL agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-10 01:58 PM

Such sad news. Condolences to Peter's family and friends.

2012-12-10 02:01 PM

What a total shock - I really love Edhat and what Peter created - I am so sorry for his family for their loss - I actually met Peter a couple of years ago at Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf on State/De La Vina and had a great conversation. He had a great vision for edhat and in many ways created a template for a local online publication that is so very very unique - I was expecting edhat to somehow get HUGE with massive subscribers and it was still in a growing stage. His concepts were brilliant. I really hope edhat continues - it is such a great community resource. Condolences again to Peter's family.

CHERIDIANE agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-10 02:07 PM

Oh my, what a sad thing. Peter seemed like such a fine person. Creating EdHat was a contribution to the lives of us all. In so many ways he will be greatly missed.

2012-12-10 02:09 PM

For 347: Edhat stands for Every Day Happenings Around Town.

2012-12-10 02:19 PM

My thoughts are with Peter's family and co-workers at Edhat. He will not be forgotten.

2012-12-10 02:26 PM

It was not a great way to start the day, reading of Peter's passing. SO young, so vital and such an example to our community. He had given me a lifeline from Baja to Santa Barbara. I had been very active in so many community doings and had met other active people, since the 60's, but have learned more about our town through the Edhat. Unbelievable what an impact Peter has made on all of our lives. Condolences to the family, the staff and all the readers. RIP

2012-12-10 02:28 PM

This community is a better place thanks to Peter and Edhat. Love and prayers to his family and friends.

FRESHPAVEMENT agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-10 02:33 PM

I'm stunned and so sorry to hear of this, didn't know he was not well. He created something important with EdHat and our community is a better place because of it. My heartfelt condolences to the family...

KDEF agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-10 02:39 PM

What a surprise. and what a loss. I have relied on Edhat daily foe local news and comments for years. As a tribute to Peter. I suggest that Edhat members renew their subscriptions and those who are not members join. It will be a fitting memorial to Peter that his Edhat continue for many years to com. Kellam de Forest

2012-12-10 02:42 PM

My thoughts are with his family. Thank you Peter for leaving us such a great legacy, RIP.

SPAGNOLA agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-10 02:44 PM

As I told Peter at SBIFF last year, I start each morning with Edhat, NY Times and FB ... in that order. He gave us the gift of community, with civility and joy. May his legacy live on and inspire others to follow his lead. My deepest sympathy to his loved ones.

2012-12-10 02:49 PM

Oh, how incredibly sad. I had no idea he was struggling with this awful disease. 50 is so young.

RIP Peter and best wishes to his family. What an awful loss.

LIZTISH340 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-10 02:54 PM

Love Edhat and all it stands for! I always told friends who wanted information to 'go to Edhat"! Thoughts and prayers to Peter's family.

2012-12-10 02:58 PM

I wish Peter had not passed so young. At least he had time to see Edhat rise from nothing. Thank you Peter, R.I.P.

EMUWREN1 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-10 03:05 PM

The death of one so beloved must be doubly difficult and painful.

My heart goes out to his family. I had no idea . . .and 50 is just far too young.

Thank you, Peter, for making all of our lives better.

2012-12-10 03:13 PM

So sorry to hear of Peter's death. We knew he was ill but still a great shock.

Deepest sympathy to Susan, Zach and Nick from John, Martha, Jess and Nick Holman

2012-12-10 03:16 PM

Ditto on everything above. He deserves a street named after him.

2012-12-10 03:23 PM

Very sad news. Sincere condolences to family and friends of Mr. Sklar.

2012-12-10 03:26 PM

Very sad to hear. This is one of the few sites I still visit pretty much every day.

ELKAY agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-10 03:28 PM

RIP is the simple acronym for emotions that go way beyond that when I learned of Peter's passing. Deep sympathy to Sue, the boys and Molly on this heart-wrenching loss. It was a privelge meeting Peter in 2004; and having the opportunity to work/support his incredible vision of edhat.com all these years--and a silver lining in this dark cloud is that reality that Peter's vision of an online community will continue and his legacy remain for years to come.

2012-12-10 03:34 PM

Godspeed, Peter. Love to Sue and the boys. We will always be here for you.

2012-12-10 03:46 PM

Like many in this community I am so saddened to hear that Peter has passed away. Peter was a kind, terrific guy, with endless enthusiasm. When I launched Santa Barbara Dot Com in the mid-1990's at the Pacific Technology Center in Goleta, Peter had an office just down the hall where he started is online business CoolMaps. I so much enjoyed spending time with Peter talking about all-things-Internet over the years. In one of our lunches I was lucky enough to be one of the few people he ever told how the name "edhat" came about (you would never believe it). Peter was an unstoppable force in the local online space and won the Independent's best web site year after year, because it was, and is and will continue to be. During our periodic meetings Peter would talk about his desire to build and online community and he eventually succeeded WILDLY with Edhat, the gold-standard in how to do it right. Peter Sklar you will be missed. You will be remembered. You left us way too soon.
John Dickson

2012-12-10 03:49 PM

what a shock to learn of this news and I feel so sad. Peter was so earnest and enthusiastic about edhat. He was always so friendly and I will miss him. I read edhat each day and am grateful for the community that he created. 50 is too young. rest in peace my friend and condolences to Sue and sons.

2012-12-10 03:55 PM

SO sorry to hear this. We lost a brilliant and creative man with insight and humor. Sincerest condolences to the family.

2012-12-10 04:14 PM

I have been hooked on edhat since I found it earlier this year. I sneak in and out several times a day tor the latest and greatest. I had gotten the idea from the post several days ago that he was on the mend.

2012-12-10 04:25 PM

I met Peter when we lined up together for the first SB International Marathon a few years ago. Heck of a nice guy. R.I.P.

2012-12-10 04:27 PM

I am so sorry to hear this. :(

May God bless and comfort his family during this time of sorrow.

Rest in peace, Peter.

2012-12-10 05:02 PM

Peter thank you for bringing edhat to our community, RIP.

2012-12-10 05:15 PM

I am so sad to hear this. My heart goes out to his family.

HOLAZOLA agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-10 05:28 PM

Bless you Peter. Great sympathy for your family, friends, and staff.

Long live edhat! (Count something everyday!)

2012-12-10 06:06 PM

We are so sad. We will miss Peter and his vision, his humor, his dedication. Love you guys. Long live Edhat! ~Jan Ziegler

2012-12-10 06:14 PM

Oh no! I knew he wasn't well, but had no idea it was that bad. So sorry I didn't get a chance to say goodbye. Condolences to his loved ones.

2012-12-10 06:29 PM

So, sorry. I lost my son to cancer, much love and respect.

2012-12-10 06:33 PM

The saddest day ever on edhat. You will never be forgotten RIP Peter.

2012-12-10 06:36 PM

Thank you Peter for inviting me into the Sunday running group, and sharing your insights on the world. Your kindness, intelligence, and unique wit will be sorely missed. Love to Sue and the kids.
Ed McAniff

2012-12-10 06:39 PM

My condolences to Peter's family and friends. He will be missed by those of us in the Edhat community, but more sorely missed by them. RIP.

2012-12-10 06:49 PM

I am so saddened to hear of Peter's death. To his family and Molly, my sincere condolences. Edhat is a legacy. Thank you.

2012-12-10 06:51 PM

For once I am at a loss for words. An amazing guy, with a wonderful vision. I'm glad to have had the opportunity to know him albeit for too short a time. Condolences to Sue, Zach and Nick. - Neal Graffy

EDSUP agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-10 06:52 PM

The sorrow our family is feeling is so deep. Peter was a most special friend. Always a day brightener and a heart lightener. Dear Peter, our loss is great.

SDP agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-10 07:07 PM

so sad to read this news. my condolences to his family.

AUNTIE S. agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-10 07:31 PM

I'm shocked and so sad to read this. he did indeed change the face of Santa Barbar with Edhat. it'shard to imagine SB without it. Mycondolences to his family. Edhat will continue to be a monument to his creativity and innovaion.

2012-12-10 07:37 PM

Thank you, Peter, for everything you gave our community.

SBANDTO agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-10 07:46 PM

Very sad to hear this news. He created such a wonderful thing with Edhat and will be remembered by many. He sounds like an amazing man and my condolences to his family.

2012-12-10 07:52 PM

Peace, Peter, and my condolences to your wife and sons and Molly.

You've made a very special place for us to congregate, inform, instruct, rant, vent and behave in ways ranging from very well to - - well, badly.

Though all things change and sometimes the things we love the most are the quickest to change, I hope Edhat can be sustained largely as-is as long as we can handle it. Put up an address for "gift subscriptions" for us and let's urge everyone to chip in.

HATTIE agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-10 08:09 PM

peter was brilliant & a visionary, & also a truly nice person--a rare combination. may his amazing spirit live on through edhat as well as through his wonderful family. our deepest condolences to sue, nick & zack.

2012-12-10 08:11 PM

Rest in Peace Peter Sklar. Too young to pass from cancer at age 50. Edhat will live on. God bless your family............. Sue, Zach and Nick. You were a visionary and you've brought us the tool to keep our community informed during emergencies and keeping us on top of local news up to the minute where our local news failed. You were a precious gift to our community! Gratitude to Peter for creating a reliable local news and community site!

ARCHIE agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-10 08:32 PM

I am so grateful for Peter's vision for edhat. He gave so many people a gift, each day. I am very saddened for our loss, and for what must be such a painful loss for his family.

BOOKLADY agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-10 08:34 PM

Peter, Your life was way too short…but you made quite an impression while you were here. Thank you for bringing edhat into our community, our lives, and our hearts; we don't how we ever got along without it. We’ve been with edhat since almost the beginning. We have been only too pleased to subscribe and help support this grand adventure. We hope that it will continue far into the future. We offer our sincerest condolences to all of your family and friends and your beloved Molly.

2012-12-10 08:36 PM

Yes, what a loss for us all. I never knew the man behind Edhat, but I noticed the respectful, yet inquiring tone in his communications to me regarding submissions or questions. I hope Edhat will be continued in his memory and in the same upbeat, respectful manner. Let's not let it degrade!!!! What sad, sad news....

2012-12-10 08:46 PM

I am shocked and saddened. Peter changed the landscape of Santa Barbara for me, bringing me into the community on a daily basis. I will always be grateful for his foresight and wisdom.

SHORELINE agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-10 08:57 PM

I am saddened beyond words at the news of Peter's passing.

GREGJ agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-10 09:13 PM

Thanks for creating EdHat, Peter. It's a great community resource. I hope it lives on.

MICKID agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-10 09:49 PM

Oh my, this is so so sad. To Peter's family, may all the wonderful memories and these most recent words stated about your husband and father comfort you now and for many years to come. It gets easier.

2012-12-10 11:14 PM

What a great fellow. Gentle and kind and most generous. So sad. The community you have created, remains behind, with loving thoughts of you.
Thank you.

2012-12-11 05:36 AM

Oh, so sorry to hear this!!! My condolences to the family. His legacy will not be forgotten. I love my EDHAT<3

2012-12-11 06:09 AM

Very sad. RIP.

PEYTON'S GRANDMA agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-11 06:22 AM

Rest In Peace, Peter. You fought a tough battle recently. I feel honored to have met you and grateful for the legacy you leave behind. Heartfelt condolences to Sue and the rest of your family. You will be missed by many.

HAPPY CAMPER agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-11 06:26 AM

Peter was quirky, funny, but most of all, was simply interested in people and our community.

I met with him several times during the past year and was amazed at this spirit, that he was doing his best to not allow the ravages of brain cancer or the impact of the medication, limit him.

He was a valuable member of our community, was clearly well loved by his family. He was one of a kind, is irreplaceable. My thoughts especially go out to Sue and his two sons who clearly knew him the best and will miss him the most.

Thanks Peter, for being the person you were. We are all grateful and better for having had you in our lives.

2012-12-11 06:35 AM

Wow what a shock. What a terrible loss.

Condolences to Pete's family and to our whole Edhat community.

2012-12-11 06:37 AM

I taught Nick - one of Peter's sons - in an after-school program years ago. Peter was the parent who picked up Nick after class and he always stuck out in my mind as a " good guy". He took time to say hi and THANK YOU ( we don't always hear that) and I was impressed with his parenting skills. He seemed kind, calm, and gentle and smart. Years later I discovered edhat and was compelled to check it out because of Peter. To the boys and his wife: my heart really goes out to you... Peter Sklar was a good bloke.

2012-12-11 06:38 AM

God bless you Peter. Thank you for giving us EdHat. I have been with EdHat from the very beginning. What a vision.

BOOKISH agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-11 06:39 AM

Such a sad loss. Edhat is more than a news source. It is a community and this community is in mourning. My condolences to the family.

2012-12-11 07:04 AM

God bless the Sklar family. Peter will be remembered every day in this Edhat treasure that he left us.

2012-12-11 07:04 AM

So sad to hear this news.
I knew him through his sons and sat next to him and his wife at many water polo games. He was a great dad and what a vision he had with Edhat. I have just subscribed today in memoriam.
Rest in peace.
Love to Sue, Nick and Zach.

2012-12-11 07:06 AM

Peter, thank you for your kindnesses and of course for giving us edhat. I'm so grateful for the kind words you sent my way, and for the encouragement to enjoy using Edhat.

You exemplified the spirit of the Edhat community : being grateful for living in this wonderful area and enthusiastically embracing the community. You helped point out that everyday there is something unusual, delightful, or marvelous in our daily lives. You showed us that the mundane can be rather extraordinary, if you keep to a sense of humor, open your heart and share it with others.

My deep condolences to your family and friends. Their loss is huge, but the example of how your lived your life will continue to guide them in the sad but healing days ahead.
Thank you Peter! I will always be grateful for finding Edhat!

SANROQUEONE agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-11 07:16 AM

I was a Roosevelt parent and worked with Peter on Math Super Bowl prep for the kids, he had just started Edhat and I subscribed to support his efforts and of course now I'm hooked. He was such a great guy, I am so sorry to hear this very sad news. My deepest condolences to Sue, Nick and Zach.

2012-12-11 07:20 AM

He did a great service to us by starting this website. Edhat, in my opinion, has become the most reliable news source in the area. Thank you, sir and RIP.

SPACE agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-11 07:23 AM

Condolences to your family and friends. I never had the good fortune to meet you, but I will continue to benefit from what you have done for the Santa Barbara community. Peace be with you Peter.

ABERMANT agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-11 07:25 AM

Peter, your soul, passion and love live on through your family, work and vision. We thank you and your family for making our community a better place. w/Peace, ASB

2012-12-11 07:35 AM

I've just joined the edhat community, and every morning, it brings joy to watch the beautiful photos, and makes me laugh to read the witty comments! It starts my day just right! Thank you, Peter!

2012-12-11 07:42 AM

This is so sad to read. Very very hard to type.

I am deeply sorry for Peters family and friends.
One thing for sure....Edhat- just part of his legacy-will survive and remembering Peter will be a common theme...Forever.

Condolences Peters family...a very deep loss to all of us. We join you in mourning his loss.

2012-12-11 07:48 AM

Our family spent many, many hours poolside with the Sklar-Foley family, watching our sons play water polo together, on the same school and club teams. We saw how Peter and Sue are such dedicated parents, besides being fun, balanced, reasonable, kind and genuinely good people. What a great family, we enjoyed such nice poolside fun and conversations with you all! Our hearts are so saddened by the death of Peter and the great loss his passing will be to his dear family, many friends, his Edhat readers, and the whole Santa Barbara community. Our deepest condolances, much love, and big hugs from the Bartolome Family to Sue, Nick, Zack, and Molly. Peter, you touched many lives and will be greatly missed and long remembered!

2012-12-11 07:48 AM

Very sad. Such a loss to family and community. He brought brightness and fostered communication here. Sincere condolences to the family.

2012-12-11 08:13 AM

Peter Sklar was a Great man with a vibrant attitude towards life. He had an amazing laugh. I remember when I would get into Peter's car to head down toward the LA area for an h2o polo tourney, and he would always tell me as soon as I got in the car to immediately put away all electronics so that all of us in the car could play road games and interact like humans. Once on the way back to Santa Barbara from an LA tournament with Peter and his son Nick sklar, Peter asked me to count (using a hand held counting machine) one in each hand how many cars and trucks we passed all the way back! He then used the statistic to do the question of the day. My condolences go to the Sklar family. Peter was a Great man, and may you Rest In Peace.
-Ben Wolfe

2012-12-11 08:21 AM

“I didn't come here of my own accord, and I can't leave that way. Whoever brought me here will have to take me home.”
- Rumi

A safe journey home, Peter. You will be missed.
Love & Light to Sue, Nick, Zack and Molly.
Millie Sunbear

2012-12-11 08:22 AM

I, too, was saddened to read the news, appropriately on Edhat. I appreciate the hard work and community oriented vision that Peter had. Condolences to his family and friends.

2012-12-11 08:22 AM

Peter will be deeply missed, both for his vision and his delicious sense of wry humor and reserve. I have to thank him for asking me to put my words on the screen through my garden column -- a new guy with no writing experience, but the willingness to figure it out as I went along. It opened a new career door that I love and relish.

Thank you Peter, love to Sue and the boyz and the dog and the staff. We'll continue in your memory but it won't be the same. Gotta run -- there are palm trees and mangled bushes to count.

2012-12-11 08:26 AM

Your life was cut tragically short but you live on in the hearts and minds of the EDHAT community that you created.

SCAMP agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-11 08:27 AM

Best wishes and condolences to his family. I did not know him, but his work spoke volumes.

KATYDID agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-11 08:28 AM

This breaks my heart. My deepest sympathy to Peter's family. What an example of someone who saw a community need and went about addressing it with determination, humor, style, intelligence, and grace. A great legacy. Such an enormous loss.

CHICA agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-11 08:35 AM

Thank you Peter for you have done so much for Santa Barbara with Edhat. I have learned so much with this website and I keep learning all the time. My condolences and prayers to Peter's family, God Bless you all.

CALTEX agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-11 08:35 AM

How very sad and such a great loss not only for the Peter's family, but all of us in Santa Barbara. It is up to us to continue to support and contribute to EdHat and keep his 'vision' going strong and to keep his dream going. My condolences to the family and EdHat staff.... all of us. Such a loss ...

2012-12-11 08:36 AM

I extend my condolences to Peter's family for their loss. I am a multiple-times-per-day Edhat checker, and it has become an important part of my busy life over the years. My favorite part of Edhat is the wildlife photos from around Santa Barbara. There is no other venue for that kind of community sharing. Best wishes in your time of grief.

2012-12-11 08:47 AM

Best wishes and condolences to his family

Sorry his walk on earth was short but the notes here show just how many he touched.

JMAC agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-11 08:59 AM

Peter's vision and generosity have changed the world in so many good ways, big and small. Too many to count (but we could try). His legacy will go on inspiring others to make the world a better place and what more could anyone hope to accomplish in life? My gratitude and sincere condolences to Peter's family and the Edhat community.

2012-12-11 09:02 AM

Peter created the best way to spend $4.33 a month, what a value. He published my first two cartoons way back when,
I never got famous but the fact he liked them was enough reward for me. He had a great sense of humor that always came through in his writing. What a guy. I like the idea very much of naming something after Peter Sklar who will be missed more than anyone could ever know. RIP Peter.

MOARTS51 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-11 09:05 AM

Good night sweet prince, and may flights of angles sing thee to thy rest.... sad beyond words. But PEter - you left this earth a better place than you found it ~ thank you.

2012-12-11 09:05 AM

He fought a long hard battle and now he's at peace.
My heart felt condolences to the family.
I too hope this site will live on forever, I love it!
Thank you Peter...

CATNET4 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-11 09:06 AM

What a sad day! I had no idea Peter was ill; what a loss to the community. But he will live on in Edhat, his wonderful creation. Best wishes to Molly, the prize-winner-selecting dog, and Peter's family.

AGENTSME agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-11 09:13 AM

"For it is in giving that we receive,
It is in pardoning that we are pardoned and It is in dying that we are born into eternal life." - St. Francis of Assisi

R.I.P Peter Thank you!

MARK-SB agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-11 09:30 AM

Sorry to hear Peter has passed... a good man gone. There is a shudder in the Force with his passing. He would want us to step up and continue the Edhat community.

2012-12-11 09:44 AM

Not many people can say they have made a true difference in the community.... Thank you Peter, for being gracious with your thoughts, generous with your talents, and helping us all to understand what a "community" really can be.

And thank you to the Sklar family, for letting your father be a kind of father to us all. My thoughts are with you during these times and I plan on ed-hatting now like I've never ed-hatted before! Thank you thank you for this wonderful gift!

2012-12-11 09:45 AM

Peter, thank you for bringing our community closer together. Even though we've never met in person, it's been a true honor to have known you, and be part of the Edhat family. You've left a legacy behind, along with the inspiration for everyone to continue it forward. From Poncho and myself, we send you, Sue, Nick, Zack, and Molly our sincere condolences.

2012-12-11 09:52 AM

Such sad news. My heartfelt condolences to Peter's family.

2012-12-11 09:59 AM

You asked me to help you, but you helped me;
You asked me to teach you, but you taught me;
You asked me to be creative, but you created;
You asked me to market you; but you marketed me.

You remarkable man, you, it is only now I understand that during the full time of our relationship, I was the student and you were the teacher.

I loved the way you were put together and your too-short visit to my life made it abundantly better. Love to your family and endless, endless admiration for you Peter. J'Amy

2012-12-11 10:07 AM

I met Peter and his family in 2003. He always loved his Edhat life and was so enthusiastic about it whenever I ran into he and Sue when I was out and about with my golden retriever, Big Boy. He was a true family man, consummate professional and gentle soul.. I will miss him deeply. My heart aches for Sue and the boys.

His legacy will live on

Sheila L.

2012-12-11 10:15 AM

So very sorry to hear of Peter's passing. I'll never forget that I found Edhat shortly before San Marcos was locked down my son's freshman year. I was frantic and upset and there was no information to be found anywhere. It was Edhat that saw me through the incident with minute-by-minute updates on what was going down by commenters. That was the day that I first subscribed. Years later, when my credit card expired, I did not renew. I had become tired of some of the petty meanness and even cruelty of some of the posters. I renewed my subscription today, first as a tribute to Peter and his good work and second, to try and contribute in a constructive and positive manner to my community. My condolences to his family.

2012-12-11 10:23 AM

So sorry to hear of his passing. Condolences to his family and the edhat staff. I started following edhat in it's early days and remember very well Peter's unique stamp on it. Met him when he was the one personally out delivering the edhat T-shirts to contest winners. Then he almost bought our house a couple years ago. This is a very sad day for the edhat community. A huge loss to the Santa Barbara area. He was a great guy.

BARGS agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-11 10:57 AM

Sad. He changed the game of online community in Santa Barbara.

LISAD agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-11 12:02 PM

Peter, it was great to have met you briefly on a group run a few years ago. Thank you for your Edhat legacy!!!

VRAJAPRANA agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-11 02:12 PM

Deepest condolences to Peter's family and all in the Edhat community. What a wonderful contribution Peter made to the larger Santa Barbara community. We'll miss him and his vision.

HAYWARD'S agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-11 02:14 PM

WOW! I never had the opportunity to meet Peter, but he made a huge impact upon my daily routine. As a longtime local businessman, a stroke pushed me into retirement. It was a UREKA moment when I discovered ed-hat and the super creative way to send local photo post cards. i don't enjoy sending plain black and white print e-mails, so I search ed-hat on a daily basis for the appropriate emotional photo to headline my thoughts.

I have had the pleasure in meeting, knowing and interacting with hundreds if not thousands of local entrepreneurs and
Peter certainly has proven that his community concept stands above all. My deep and sincere condolences to his family and friends.

2012-12-11 02:39 PM

I had the fortune of meeting Peter when he came to my office to deliver an EdHat shirt I won back in 2006 (the early days). I still remember that brief interaction well; he was a very kind and polite person.

Upon a person's passing, they are often measured by their legacy. EdHat is a wonderful part of my life and great resource to the Santa Barbara community and beyond.

BRAVO! Well done Peter!

2012-12-11 03:56 PM

59% of these comments have been made by PAID UP Edhat members. So 49% of the readers who commented today enjoy this fabulous website for free! In honor of tbis generous man why don't all of us who can put our hamds in our pockets and pay the measley ONE DOLLAR PER WEEK it costs to receive a daily email of edhat in your inbox?!?! Please let's do what we can to keep edhat going... I pay $52 for a whole year! Incredible value!

EDHATBARBARA agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-11 04:03 PM

A fitting tribute to him by anyone who spends time on EdHat would be to purchase a six month membership. If one cannot afford a standard membership, it is possible to purchase a discounted one. Let's keep EdHat going, in his honor and his memory!

2012-12-11 06:53 PM

Molly the Edhat dog should be our Edhat "Dog of the Week." Yes...she's always chosen the winners for Edhat contests. She's a lucky girl because the first winner she chose was Peter. Who will second this nomination?

2012-12-11 06:57 PM

I wondered why I hadn't seen Peter out running lately by the harbor or Shoreline Park; always with a friendly greeting. This is very sad news that such a young and vital member of our community is gone. An Edhat Community Member.

2012-12-11 07:28 PM

Hey ... all you unpaid subscribers ... maybe it is time ... $10 ?? (coffee for a week?!?!) For Peter !?! His family ?!?! Not in guilt, or something owed, but in respect and in support Edhat, Peter and all it means. Let's keep it going ....

2012-12-11 07:33 PM

He left a magnificent legacy, his family and friends, those who know him and those who know him through EdHat. May he rest in God's peace.

2012-12-11 07:55 PM

Thank you Peter for helping Santa Barbara have a greater sense of community. You had the vision, persistence, and fortitude to keep Edhat alive. It's heartwarming to read the many readers' postings which articulate with sensitivity what you and Edhat have contributed to Santa Barbara. May these grievous times for the family be lightened and brightened by thoughtful friends, not just now, but for years in the future.

2012-12-11 08:16 PM

I didn't know him but I feel very sad for those who knew and loved him. What a huge tragedy. RIP and my deepest sympathy to Peter's circle of love.

2012-12-11 08:27 PM

I am so, so sad about this. Peter was such a kind man.

2012-12-11 08:35 PM

Sue, Nick, Zach - sending our love and prayers for you all. Peter was a great guy and we will miss him. I had no idea what an influence he was in the community. I mean I read EDHat but I didn't realize how unusual this all is. Santa Barbara is a better community because Peter lived here. That much I already knew, and clearly it is much bigger that what I knew.
Let us know if we can help in anyway. You are a great family and you honor Peter by just being you. Much love,
Sally (and George) from down the street

UPONTHEHILL agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-12 07:49 AM

I am so sorry to read this. My condolences to the family. May you find peace in the knowledge that Peter will live on through his deeds. He has enriched our community beyond words.

2012-12-12 10:10 AM

Just heard about Peter's passing. Peter was my first boss, at my first real paying job. I worked for coolmaps for about a year in the late 90's. In college, I remember trying to apply to the UCSB computer lab and getting rejected for "having too much experience with computers". Then, I just went through the UCSB computer science department's "local companies" list and started applying. I only had to go down to "C" before I got my first interview with Peter, and he hired me on the spot. We worked out of his garage in the foothills of Santa Barbara, and used his kitchen as our break room. It was a great start to my career as a software engineer. Thanks for everything Peter. Rest in peace.

2012-12-12 08:41 PM

(I think my March Madness trophy just shed a tear.) That mischievous smile of his is a big part of my mental image when I see or hear Peter's name. Thank you for all the small delights and big news. Linny G

RAINE5360 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-12 10:26 PM

Terrible, terrible. So sorry.

2012-12-13 12:57 PM

Peter, we thank you for persisting with Edhat. I feel honored to have had the opportunity to meet Peter when Edhat was less than a year old and community portals were just becoming viable. Through his creation I feel his spirit remains with us. It's more important than ever to support Edhat now, as it was a gift from a generous brilliant man. I have to say Peter was really special. He loved the local community and wanted to make it better!

Love & Condolences to Sue, Nick and Zack

Henry

2012-12-13 02:38 PM

I didn't know you, Peter, but the best way I could think of to show you how appreciative I am for Edhat was to get off my hindquarters and subscribe. Thank you for a gift to our community that I treasure.

2013-01-01 04:27 PM

I wish I could have met him. What a great tribute to his life. I hope his spirit is hovering over beautiful Santa Barbara (my home town)

2013-01-03 05:13 PM

Oh man! Peter, I will miss you. I adored you since I first met you at the City of Santa Barbara where you were the Traffic Modeler. Your brains set you apart, your heart made you approachable, fun and wise. You talked of the greater value of spending time with your family over the dollar. No challenge or idea was too big or small. I just realized that you came up with a local idea for Amazon.com some 20 years ago. I'm not surprised, it seemed that all your ideas were good, it just may have taken me and the rest of the world awhile to catch on. You sang songs. You laughed. Your eyes twinkled when you talked of your family. You made a difference in my life. Stacey Wilson

39% of comments on this page were made by Edhat Community Members.