All Local News
- 09/30/14

previous day | next day

Most recent Comments first | (reverse order)

COMMENT 557321 helpful negative off topic

Insect Identification

2014-09-30 07:07 PM

Thnx 304! I have looked into all of the above mentioned and none really matched up. Thank u all for your input. I do think it's a siricid wood beast. My firefighter child and partners have their own name, which includes the word "stump" in it. So beings how this one bores into wood and has similar markings I believe it's a good match! Thank you!

COMMENT 557304 helpful negative off topic

Insect Identification

2014-09-30 05:44 PM

A siricid horntail: Urocerus californicus

COMMENT 557267P helpful negative off topic

Water Containers for Drought-Strick...

2014-09-30 04:19 PM

Wondering why 125 considers wild carnivores undeserving of water. Perhaps they can do a better job than the feral cats at controlling unwanted rodents.

COMMENT 557264 helpful negative off topic

Earthquake Toll

2014-09-30 04:15 PM

064 - While we are not close to the San Andres fault, we are on the side of it that will be under water when the big one hits.

COMMENT 557263P helpful negative off topic

Water Containers for Drought-Strick...

2014-09-30 04:14 PM

For safety, make sure the container is shallow (no high sides) and add smooth-ish rocks to prevent drowning of small animals. High sides will trap and possibly kill some animals. Many wildlife diseases are spread through water contaminated by sick animals that have used the source. Regularly cleaning and bleaching the container and rocks help minimize this problem. Mosquito eggs will hatch within a day or so when the weather/ water is warm, as it has been lately. Gambusia mosquito fish can't survive in water that is too warm. Raccoons and some fish-eating birds will eat Gambusia, so sometimes just regularly dumping, eggs, larvae and pupae is the simplest option.

read complete comment thread

EDSUP helpful negative off topic

Tiny Mushrrom ID

2014-09-30 03:28 PM

What they are, is beautiful!

COMMENT 557239 helpful negative off topic

Hawk Having Breakfast

2014-09-30 03:20 PM

Hawk babies love snakeghetti & meat balls

FLICKA helpful negative off topic

Water Containers for Drought-Strick...

2014-09-30 03:02 PM

213P, hooray is right! Water is even more important than food. Thanks to everyone helping the thirsty animals. There is a creek close to our home, still has some water for the raccoons, opossums, and fox in our neighborhood. Don't get big wildlife as we are by the beach. I keep a bird bath filled.

COMMENT 557225 helpful negative off topic

Stuffed Bell Peppers

2014-09-30 02:55 PM

The reason why the recipe calls for adding liquid to the pan and covering the peppers is that if you don't, the pepper itself will not be cooked properly.

You can omit this step entirely by simply blanching the cut peppers for 2-5 minutes, depending on how thick the skin is. Blanch thin-skinned red peppers for 2 or 3 minutes tops. Allow 5 minutes for the mongo-sized green peppers.

Personally I prefer cutting the tops off of peppers and filling them whole rather than cutting them in half lengthwise. But if you can't find peppers that have a nice even bottom that will stand up by themselves, I guess this is a good alternative.

Also, make sure that you scoop out all of the nasty-tasting whitish veins from the inside of the pepper before stuffing it.

COMMENT 557218P helpful negative off topic

Insect Identification

2014-09-30 02:45 PM

Poor tarantulas. What a way to go. Ugh.

COMMENT 557215P helpful negative off topic

Hawk Having Breakfast

2014-09-30 02:42 PM

Henry, please do not eat any snakes or lizards in my 'hood. I need them.

COMMENT 557214P helpful negative off topic

Nuns And Edhat Bag

2014-09-30 02:41 PM

Dom-a-neeka-neeka-neeka. Thanks. Now that song will be stuck in my head all day . . .

COMMENT 557213P helpful negative off topic

Water Containers for Drought-Strick...

2014-09-30 02:40 PM

It is so easy to detect if your water is mosquito larvae habitat. Just look for the wriggly larvae and dump out that water and start over. A lot of people seem to think mosquitoes lay eggs in water and the larvae hatch out overnight or something. It takes days for larvae to become adult mosquitos.

If you do decide to add a couple of gambusia/mosquito-larvae eating fish, please make sure you provide a bit of shade over the water and a plant or two, for the fish to rest and hide under.

I like that the OP said put in a stick and someone else commented about adding a "ladder." Very important, as many critters tend to drown, if there's a way in and no way out of the water.

Hooray for those of us who care and want to help wildlife!

COMMENT 557195P helpful negative off topic

Hawk Having Breakfast

2014-09-30 02:05 PM

Good Boy, Henry! De-snake-ify the area.

COMMENT 557183 helpful negative off topic

Nuns And Edhat Bag

2014-09-30 01:41 PM

whats in the bag????

read complete comment thread

SITHSNOOPY helpful negative off topic

Earthquake Toll

2014-09-30 01:41 PM

OP here,

556958, it may in fact be "water table settling". According to one news website I read (will post link in a moment), there have been earthquake swarms there back in the 80's and 90's, prior to I believe the advent of fracking.

Let me check google for a second:

Google also came up with more recent articles. Maybe they will have differing opinions.

Not trying to defend fracking. I know it's doing some weird stuff to the supporting ground under our feet, and I definitely don't like messing around with the water table.

COMMENT 557179 helpful negative off topic

Water Containers for Drought-Strick...

2014-09-30 01:39 PM

Mosquito nests methinks!!

COMMENT 557168 helpful negative off topic

Nuns And Edhat Bag

2014-09-30 01:21 PM

Love me some Cambria - I know exactly where that is...miss that place....the 70 hour weeks make trips up there pretty much impossible....gotta keep keeping on though.

COMMENT 557167 helpful negative off topic

Water Containers for Drought-Strick...

2014-09-30 01:20 PM

I've been leaving water out for whatever creature wanders by for months now. I refill them every other day - sometimes daily. I hope this drought abates soon - I'm sure they are tired of having to trek into human occupancy land.

COMMENT 557158 helpful negative off topic

Nuns And Edhat Bag

2014-09-30 01:09 PM

I used to have a crush on the flying nun when I was a kid

read complete comment thread

TWO ABBYS helpful negative off topic

Water Containers for Drought-Strick...

2014-09-30 12:25 PM

Nice ideas! Check out these great videos of wildlife at the water troughs on Sedgwick Reserve.

read complete comment thread

ROGER DODGER helpful negative off topic

Water Containers for Drought-Strick...

2014-09-30 11:55 AM

Good ideaer but don't let the water sit clean it out you don't want enciplitics then you'll be like me..

COMMENT 557125 helpful negative off topic

Water Containers for Drought-Strick...

2014-09-30 11:35 AM

Be careful when putting water out. I have an old stock(read cows) water trough that I keep filled with water, I live in the hills. It attracts lots of animals. Make sure you put some sort of ladder, like a stick or piece of fence wire in deep troughs. Rabbits seem to drown in the trough. Also, along with attracting cute little animals, my trough seems to attract lions, coyotes and foxes. I've lost 3 barn kitty's since I filled the tank earlier this summer. Also, adding a couple mosquito fish keeps the bugs down.

COMMENT 557121 helpful negative off topic

Insect Identification

2014-09-30 11:18 AM

I vote tarantula hawk. We have them here too. Quite large, orange wings, and bluish body.

Very dangerous.

If you are a tarantula.

COMMENT 557120 helpful negative off topic

Nuns And Edhat Bag

2014-09-30 11:11 AM

"I've got a brand new pair of roller skates. You've got a brand new key".

COMMENT 557119 helpful negative off topic

Hawk Having Breakfast

2014-09-30 11:10 AM

Hope it was a rattler.

COMMENT 557114 helpful negative off topic

Water Containers for Drought-Strick...

2014-09-30 10:54 AM

Excellent! What a great idea. I'm sure you made the wildlife very happy.

COMMENT 557113 helpful negative off topic

Rachel Hoyt Poems

2014-09-30 10:53 AM

Leave it to Rachel to bring up a topic that should be discussed with family only.

COMMENT 557110 helpful negative off topic

Nuns And Edhat Bag

2014-09-30 10:47 AM

Nothing could be more scary than nuns.

COMMENT 557107P helpful negative off topic

Rachel Hoyt Poems

2014-09-30 10:43 AM

@087P

I posted this sentence: "While it's possible to live a good life without training in moral principles, generally through a religion, it often doesn't happen."

Nowhere does it say that religion is required. I said *generally* as per cultural custom. Many good people have no religious inclination or training whatsoever. However, they probably had good parents who taught them moral lessons. My point is that children need some kind of guidance. Many adults who dislike religion nonetheless absorbed moral lessons in childhood via religious training. If they subsequently rejected religion because they encountered the hypocrisy and sometimes sheer evil that pervade any human organization, they still retain some (usually unacknowledged) benefit. This was certainly true for me, but I don't want to generalize. It is not true for others. In other words, religion is NOT required to be a good person. I also left the door open to the possibility that children without any moral training, religious or otherwise, may grow up to be good people. You completely misunderstood me and did not offer respect enough to ask me to clarify what I'd written.

Furthermore, I do not equate religion with Christianity. There are many religions in the world. I am not a Christian. I do not immediately think of Sundays when I think religious. Anything I have posted has almost nothing to do with Christianity or an opinion of Christianity.

I also hold extremely progressive political views, probably more radical than most, and yet I would consider myself religious. Most of the people in my faith community are also progressive. So, I do not understand how a discussion of religious experience becomes a debate on liberal vs. conservative politics.

If anything, the projections, assumptions, reactions that fill the anti-religious comments seem completely against a "straw man" that does not exist...at least in this discussion. In that, the comments seem quite similar to those of my Tea Party relatives...all newly-minted Christians...and also to the John Birch Society babble among the adults of my childhood.

As a religious person with progressive values, I get bashed by both the right and the left. How lovely. I post something positive about religion in MY life (not yours or anyone... [ more ]

COMMENT 557104 helpful negative off topic

Insect Identification

2014-09-30 10:33 AM

Spider wasp or photoes toosmallicus

COMMENT 557102 helpful negative off topic

Hawk Having Breakfast

2014-09-30 10:31 AM

Snake, it's the other white meat.

COMMENT 557100 helpful negative off topic

Insect Identification

2014-09-30 10:29 AM

Tarantula Hawk?

FLICKA helpful negative off topic

Hawk Having Breakfast

2014-09-30 10:28 AM

It's groovy your hawk is around often enough to have you give him a name. If you get more photos of Henry, please post them

COMMENT 557090 helpful negative off topic

Insect Identification

2014-09-30 09:56 AM

i wish there was something else in the picture to give a sense of size. Is the abdomen that rusty brown color, or is that the color of the wings? How long was it? Are there any closer or more focused pictures?

COMMENT 557087P helpful negative off topic

Rachel Hoyt Poems

2014-09-30 09:51 AM

595P - In reading through all of the comments, those that are pro-religion have shown zero understanding or tolerance for those who are not religious.On the other hand, the non-religious have frequently stated understanding of those who are religious, and often admiration, even though for them personally, religion is not the key.

Instead of quoting the multiple sentences supporting that conclusion, the simple - secularism bad, religion good - summary was stated, because it was very succinct in stating. Normally, I tend to be very verbose. The sentence below is the one with which I had the most objection, because my many life experiences have shown the opposite to be true.

These have been my observations of those who are religious - a) that what is preached on a Sunday is forgotten on the remaining days of the week - i.e. the moral principles are not adhered to in real life b) the religious like to "be right" without trying to find out if their stances are actually right c) the right tend to judge a group of people from the actions of a few, while most people judge only the individual d) guilt by association e) when debating a topic they tend to bash the individual rather than the subject matter being discussed and often shoot the messenger f) when losing an argument, there is a tendency to obfuscate by going off on a tangent.

Most well-illustrated by this paragraph starting: "The overwhelming majority of thought here, ......."

What I have found on the right, is the staggering amount of ridicule and bashing that has been directed toward liberals, where they have turned it into a bad word. The trashing of politicians with lies and malice, which is predominantly a tactic of the right, initiated by Lee Atwater, has probably been one of the reasons for so much skepticism on the left. Even John McCain complained about the tactics of the right (Bush/Rove) about the Indian girl that they adopted. I found hatred towards others far worse from the right, and hardly "love thy neighbor".

COMMENT 557075 helpful negative off topic

Drought Impact on Native Wildlife

2014-09-30 09:21 AM

It's fine to have them off leash, but they were out of sight. I have mine off leash all the time, but I NEVER have them out of sight.

The story I heard was that since the bear had left the area, they weren't going to trap it. It obviously didn't like the interaction or being bothered by the dogs so went back to quieter pastures. Since it acted like we want our wild animals to act, there is no need to kill it.

sometimes the system actually works.

COMMENT 557072P helpful negative off topic

Nuns And Edhat Bag

2014-09-30 09:14 AM

ROFL, I love it.

COMMENT 557071 helpful negative off topic

Remington

2014-09-30 09:11 AM

Bengals are not that far from the wild asian cat they are bred from. They will kill anything that moves, and generally eat it. My friend used to step on the mouse and gopher guts the cat left on his oriental rug. Sometimes in his bare feet.

I had an Abby that was similar but didn't eat what she killed as far as I knew. She was feral when I found her and maybe was sick of eating game so enjoyed her Iams for 19 years.

COMMENT 557064 helpful negative off topic

Earthquake Toll

2014-09-30 09:05 AM

We've had a few low level earthquakes in our area, I think this is new activity. We've not had a noticeable earthquake in quite some time. Not all fault lines are connected. LA might have some connectivity to Mammoth but Santa Barbara is not even close to the San Andreas Fault.

COMMENT 557058 helpful negative off topic

Insect Identification

2014-09-30 08:52 AM

Salmon fly (stonefly) came to mind.

read complete comment thread

SHARE helpful negative off topic

Rachel Hoyt Poems

2014-09-30 08:32 AM

In an effort to figure out the shorebird and 776 etc. misunderstandings. I'm confused it's not a religious experience that is the line demarcation into humanity it is a spiritual experience. Religions evolved over long long long periods of time out of the spiritual experiences of humans. Unfortunately many of the religions that have developed, have turned into hypocritical, clichy, powerfully wealthy, (foremost sadly for many) all the things that have very little to do with being spiritual. That's not to say that a person cannot have a spiritual experience while being religious. Those two things are not mutually exclusive. Moreover, one can have a spiritual experience without being religious. So for me I'm more in tuned with shorebird than the ones misunderstanding what shorebird is saying.

COMMENT 557047 helpful negative off topic

Insect Identification

2014-09-30 08:28 AM

Looks like a wasp

COMMENT 557041P helpful negative off topic

Rachel Hoyt Poems

2014-09-30 08:13 AM

20P - Baloney. Haven't heard about the Higgs boson? The mechanism for mass has been found, and mass warps space. Masses travel along the resulting geodesics. Stop ruminating while only looking at your own navel, and you may find out what real knowledge is. Not some semantic trick about "really knowing".

read complete comment thread

VSRPETEY helpful negative off topic

Earthquake Toll

2014-09-30 08:04 AM

what's a usual number?

FLICKA helpful negative off topic

Earthquake Toll

2014-09-30 07:49 AM

If hoarding food was illegal why haven't they gone after the Mormons? Seems they feel a storage of 2 years food is important, at least that is what I heard from a Mormon friend a few years ago.

COMMENT 557026 helpful negative off topic

Earthquake Toll

2014-09-30 07:04 AM

Anyone concerned about quakes, large and small, should support Yes on Measure P. In the North County, one new owner from Louisiana, has poured in almost half a million dollars to defeat Measure P. They just started asking for cyclic steaming wells. Got permits for nine. For a half mil, they must have plenty more coming. And, by the way, they already have their holdings up for sale, anticipating the big 'boom' in dirty oil. This is the sixth owner in our time here.

COMMENT 557023 helpful negative off topic

Earthquake Toll

2014-09-30 06:57 AM

That would be the massive Long Valley caldera and its been swelling for quite some time. Mammoth Mtn. is outside the margins.

COMMENT 557020P helpful negative off topic

Rachel Hoyt Poems

2014-09-30 06:11 AM

metaphysics is what comes before physical sciences, by definition. It is a foundation by which we can proceed to build epistemological thought and and all experience.

You may say religion is an example of "made up stuff with no supporting evidence", ok fair enough; it requires faith....
BUT, so does belief in gravity, atomic structure, light, quantum mechanics, the theory of mass, relativity, entropy; and the entire underpinnings of all the physical sciences that many simply have "FAITH" that they are supported by facts. IN FACT; they are not. Please define why, for example, any two objects in a vacuum attract each other? you can not, I know, yet it is the basis for our entire understanding of the physical universe.

It is most likely why most of the best and brightest scientists in the world are religious people at their core.

and 19P, no one on this thread nor anyone I have ever known says "religion, good; secularism, bad" That is an example of "straw dog" debate tactics. Typically used by politicians or people who watch a lot of politics. Not religious scholars.

COMMENT 557019P helpful negative off topic

Rachel Hoyt Poems

2014-09-30 05:15 AM

"Do unto others" = cesspool.

Not surprising that the right side of that equation is becoming increasingly irrelevant.

read complete comment thread

44% of comments on this page were made by Edhat Community Members.

Home Subscribe FAQ Jobs Contact copyright © 2003-2014